Epic Robotics

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

EpicentrE

Re: Epic Robotics

Post by EpicentrE »

Here's what that brushless drive is going to be powering: articulated angled track pods. Because why not?

Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Super complicated, articulated, tracked, red... You're not building an antweight Hyperactive per chance?
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

I tried my hand for the first time at moulding silicon rubber tracks last night. I won't know if it was successful until I get home and open the mould up, but damn that stuff is horrendous to work with. It went everywhere and it took me about an hour of constant cleaning to get it off my hands. I should probably wear gloves next time...

Does anyone have any tips for working with this stuff? Even getting small amounts of it out of it's bottles in order to mix it was a nightmare, with it running down the sides of the bottles and making a huge mess. And then when mixed it was so viscous I could barely get it into my mould. I can only assume I was doing something (or everything) wrong.
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

I just have two sacrificial tea towels and a cutting mat put aside especially for silicone moulding to try and limit how much of a mess it can make.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

If its the same material as I used to try and measure it carefully but it didn't seem to matter much so I just pour some from each container into a small mixing pot.
I then use a piece of 3mm steel rod to mix it and then use that to drip the material into the mold.
As long as it is well mixed any you spill sets off on the bench is then just peels off.
I find a couple of washes in neat washing up liquid gets it off.
If you do use gloves they need to be non Latex or it stops the material setting off properly.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

The central section of the new Void is complete. Unfortunately, I won't be bringing this to the AWS; it's quite heavy at the moment, and while I could probably get the side pods completed in time, I'd have to dismantle quite a bit to get to the areas where I need to save weight, and I don't have enough time. I was hoping to have this done for the AWS, but between how busy I've been recently and the stupid heat I'll have to just run with the old one. It'll get done one day!

Here it is with the flipper down and the grabber open:

And here's the flipper up and the grabber closed:

The springs on the grabber should let it clamp down onto other robots quite well; the servo can go about 30 degrees further than the position it's in in the second picture, so even very thin section of robots should be grabbable.

(Also, I noticed after I took the photos that the back-right arm of the 4-bar mechanism isn't connected. Sorry!)
UserFriendly

Post by UserFriendly »

Looks really good Scott (glad you're not bringing it on Sat) :wink: :lol:

Are the springs there to just return it to position, or have another function like shock absorbing etc.?
Andy B - Team UserFriendly
Reading Cybernetics Graduate 1996
Trying not to take Antweights too seriously. I think I'm failing.
First AWS was 46.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Thanks! The springs are there to allow the grabber to clamp down without stalling the servo or breaking something.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Phew, it's been a while since I posted here!

After attending the last AWS my motivation has returned, and that coupled with Void being pretty badly destroyed means I've been working on the design for the new one. You may recall - or read, if you scroll up - that I was a good way through building a new version when I last stopped attending events 2 years ago, but as usually happens when I return from a hiatus, I decided I didn't like it and so started from scratch.

One thing I did want to keep though, was trying out brushless drive. To that end, I've been designing this little beauty:

This is a 14mm diameter wheel hub that includes a 10mm brushless outrunner and an N20-style gearbox. It mounts at both the back and with the D-shaft at the front, meaning that the gearbox itself rotates, turning the wheel. It's 20mm front to back, the wheel itself is 19mm wide, and you could have a final wheel diameter of just 16mm if you used a thin tread material.

The corners of the gearbox need to be filed down - which hasn't been done yet - but apart from that it's fairly quick and easy to put together once you've got the printed parts.

The new Void is designed around 4 of these, and I can't wait to get going on it!
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Now that is crazy and awesome!
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!