The Die Gracefully Robotics award for innovation

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

The Die Gracefully Robotics award for innovation

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Hi guys.
I've been playing with this for a while and, unless anyone objects, I'd like to go ahead with it.
Everyone has been talking about wanting more innovative designs but there is never much incentive, particularly if the design lessens your chances of winning. So I thought I'd create incentive.
If its OK with everyone, at the next AWS, I'd like to present the 1st Die Gracefully Robotics Award for Innovation. This will be an award judged by myself with a prize that I will fund (probably cash based) to the best ability I can. And if it is well received, I'd like to keep it up at AWSs to come.

The rules.
Any robot competing in the main AWS competition will be eligible.

I may ask and listen to the opinion of other's at the event, but ultimately I will be the only judge. This is not an ego thing, it just allows everyone except myself (and any robots I have built for other teams) to be eligible. I'm not sure anyone on here would object at my ability to judge such an award but if you want to, go ahead.

Innovation will be defined as any robot that departs from the normal trends in a unique and interesting way, regardless of how successfully the robot is in competition. IE, a robot that is out in round one and a robot that wins the AWS are judged on a level playing field, HOWEVER if a design innovation leads to fight success, this may be considered a factor in the judging.

Robots will be judged on individual merit, regardless of the other entries on a team. This is to encourage people to try an innovative design as a fourth (or third, should the numbers drop) member of their team, whilst leaving them with three (or two) slots to go for more reliable designs if they so choose.

All robots that compete in the AWS will be eligible, however if the robot is an older design, it's innovation will be judged from that current AWS and not based on whenever it came into existence.

A shortlist of recognised robots (I'm thinking 4) will be announced in the usual prize giving section of the AWS, before the overall winner of the prize is given.

I guess I just wanted to run the idea by everyone nice and early to see if anyone objects or wants to comment or point out something I may not have thought of. It is meant as a prize of good will to award people trying new things, whatever they may be. It may not be a huge prize as I am not exactly rich, but it should be worth winning, as long as everyone is OK with me running it and my way of judging it, I think it could be a nice incentive.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Hogi

Re: The Die Gracefully Robotics award for innovation

Post by Hogi »

*builds amazing walking robot*

this sounds like a great idea to me Dave! i will strive to improve innovation on my team and win one of these awards at one of this year's remaining AWSes.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Sounds good to me I know I tend to go for designs that I think give me the best chance of success maybe this will encourage more innovation.
limpet

Post by limpet »

A good idea, its something I really like to see.
–-----------------------------

For AntFreeze
https://www.facebook.com/AntFreeze/

For my robots etc.
https://www.facebook.com/13Robotics
Ants, Fleas, Beetles, Feathers & Heavies
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Love it :D
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

Its an ace idea and it means its possible for someone unable to challenge for the aws title able to have a good shot at winning something
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Remote-Controlled Dave wrote: All robots that compete in the AWS will be eligible, however if the robot is an older design, it's innovation will be judged from that current AWS and not based on whenever it came into existence.
* brings mean garden pot out of retirement *
*Finish's makeing secret robot and test*
Remote-Controlled Dave

First prize giving seemed to be a success, even if most of the innovative robots I had my eye on ended up pulling out. In summary anyway, the 4 nominations ended up being:

MutAnt - nominated for an innovative weapon, even though we've had ring spinners in antweights before, we've never really had one damaging enough to win fights.

Void - nominated (much to Scott's confusion!) for being a consistently successful design that has had very little imitators due to its complexity, it may have been around for a while but there's nothing quite like it.

Slice to Meet You - nominated for finally bringing the expanding spinner concept to an arena without just imploding, it worked as it was supposed to and offered up true unique design in the process.

ROFLSTOMP - a great robot with a disc at one end and a plough at the other where both worked in perfect harmony, it was stable, well build, well thought out and unique.

The winner was Slice to Meet You and I'm so glad Rory was inspired by this award to build it. Your prize money went into the donations box matey.

So get innovating for the next AWS guys, and impress me enough to get some of my hard earned cash! Innovative robots don't have to win fights, or even move very well, they just need to have that spark of something we haven't seen before. If you don't think you can beat the AWS big boys in combat, beat them with your ideas instead.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

do fleaweights qualify for this award or is it just antweights?
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Remote-Controlled Dave

Good question. Just AWS combatants was the original brief, so the only way a fleaweight would qualify is as part of a cluster.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39