Soapbox Racers

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

Re: Peter Wallers Robot Ramblings

Post by peterwaller »

I don't know much about the RedBull event my son in law wanted to go for that one but I thought it better to start with something a little easier.
Besides I am not sure Our team would be acceptable seeing it is called the PinkCow team because PinkCow gives you wind. :roll:
I have a bit of trouble getting my head round what is strong enough we started looking at M10 studding for the rear axel but have now moved up to M16.
The Aylesbury event is on 21st June (Fathersday) and having checked out the venue it looks fairly gentle but there are many other events we could enter assuming it works correctly.
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Careful; all this talk of building soap box racers is making me want to join in! I've got a ton of parts that i could use for one, but already have way too many projects on atm :P
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

You're not the only roboteer trying to enter the redbull event, Krissy (Schumey, Rybot, and various others) is making one too :)
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Wow, small world! Yep, I think for most events, 20" bmx wheels seem to be the best option, but for the Red Bull event, something sturdier looks to be wise. We have 14" wheelbarrow wheels, with roller bearings, we are planning to pump them up as much as possible to decrease the rolling resistance as much as possible. Asfar as strength goes, Belt and braces seems to be the way to go, because of the jumps, and banked sections that they like to put in!! The event has an 80kg weight limit, without driver which doesnt seem too bad, I reckon I can get some suspension in and still keep it under the limit. It is a very tight squeeze in there though!! According to an email I got, tickets went on sale yesterday, 1st May. Available from ticketmaster.
peterwaller

Re: Soapbox Racers

Post by peterwaller »

Actually had it moving yesterday and it wasn't too bad.
The steering was very positive if a little sensitive but no slop but the column needs a bit more support at the top.
The brakes were a little weak as I had backed the pads off too far to ensure no slight rubbing and we wern't getting enough pressure.
Also there seemed to be more rolling resistance than hoped for but I haven't got the tyres up to full pressure yet.
We have added two diagonal members from the chassis at the front up to about shoulder high on the driver to give some side prtection and help support the pusher handles at the rear. (In the aylesbury event you have two pushers to get you started.)
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Sounds like you are making good progress. Id love to see a pic, Peter.
We got a mail from the organisers, and we didnt make it into the red bull event. "Thanks very much, thousands of entries, blah, blah, blah." Never mind, We will continue to build it, is a good little project, some interesting challenges .
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

That's a shame, Jim. So, you can concentrate on getting to an AWS now then...? Please?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I have reduced the sensitivity of the steering and improved the support of the steering coloumn so that all OK now.
I found the problem with the brakes I have fixed the disk to the main bearing housing but it appears the wheel can slip around the bearing housing so stopping the disc doesn't mean stopping the wheel. I think a couple of tack welds should fix that.
I had a chat with my son in law and he is OK about photo's on here he was just concerned about other comprtitors for the Aylesbury event.
Here is the cart so far.
Here is the disc brake arangement.
Here is the steering.
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Very nifty Peter.
I like the setup. And a nice brake pedal too! When is the event?

I am trying very hard to make it to some robot events soon, Dave! I miss yous guys!! :)
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

We miss you too
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39