Possible summer event (not AWS)- University of Reading

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

teamocean

Possible summer event (not AWS)- University of Reading

Post by teamocean »

Hi Guys,

I've been reading through the comments on the rules thread about wanting to try some different things at an event without it being an AWS and may be able to offer a solution.

Mark and I have also been discussing a potential new venture to try to improve the stream aspects of our events and to make everything a little more professional and more entertaining for the viewer while hopefully keeping things relaxing and interesting for the roboteers at the event.

Anyway to get to the point. Would anyone be interested in attending a smaller scale event at Reading Uni? For this format we are considering for this 'test' event we would be limiting people to 1 or 2 entries into the competition but will be running additonal games as well. This is still in the early stages of planning but the idea would be to hold the event sometime around August so that it won't conflict with other events.

Any thoughts?
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: Possible summer event (not AWS)- University of Reading

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I got the impression in the other thread that Rhys was volunteering to run a similar thing. Are you jumping on him? ;-)
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

As I said in the other thread, I'm definitely interested in more events. I was discussing something similar with Andy; the possibility of an event where you're only allowed to enter one robot, but the first round of the tournament would operate on a league system (like the FW champs but with no 3-way melees), so everyone would get a lot more fights with their robot.

I'm also interested in anything that will expand on the streaming aspect of events. I know Mark was concerned about using Twitch as it's primarily a video gaming service, but Brad from RobotRevo mentioned on Facebook that he's actually been in touch with people at Twitch who sound like they've been very supportive of his streaming, and are looking to support his channel directly in the future. I've also seen Magic the Gathering and poker tournaments on there drawing huge amounts of viewers, so despite it seeming like they're not interested in anything non-gaming, this certainly doesn't seem to be true. They're the streaming site that most people are most familiar with, so I really think it would be beneficial to use them in future.

Anyway, sorry for going off topic. Yes, more events are good and I would be interested in whatever you come up with.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

Any extra events seems good for me
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

I hadn't seen that Rhys was planning a similar event- if he would would prefer to run an event that's completely fine with us. We would like to run one at some point so that we can try some changes to our setup without the pressure of a big AWS.

As for the stream itself I am leaning towards Twitch for our future events. We have a lot of things planned which requires a more stable host for the stream.
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

Rhys was thinking before the next AWS I think whereas this would be between the July one and the October November one
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)

joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I'd definitely be interested in attending either Rhys's (I've never been to Wales before!) or yours, probably both - the more events the merrier as far as I'm concerned and I'm up for anything new :) I will be in Canada until the middle of May but I guess this would be further in the future than that? (EDIT: apologies, I see the August date now, I need to get better at reading XD)

As far as the streaming's concerned, Tracy (in Alberta) had no issues with the stream until the last couple of hours - I'm intrigued by what you'd do to make it more interesting though, I'd be a terrible interview subject probably!
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

When Simon ran Reading Robot Club it was always popular and well attended. I think it would be great if we could get to the state where we have 6 or more regular events/dates throughout the year, or possibly more if the non-AWS events are more "regional" in nature.

John and Dan have established their events in January and November respectively. It would be nice to have some events either side of the summer AWS, whether annual events or one-offs.

I would suggest September might be a little better than August to avoid the peak holiday time. IIRC Simon ran RRC at the beginning of September, far enough in advance of the October/November AWS not to be a problem.

Different competitions are always fun and it's important to try to give everyone as many fights/drives as possible, so limiting the number of robots per driver in the main event is a good idea.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

Why not set a limit of three and warn on bringing down to two on the day if too congested?
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I would be interested in any extra events,