2g) Any system involving the use of pressurised gas or liqui

A discussion forum for proposed changes to the AWS rules (2014)

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Forum rules
* Only one rule per thread. Any deviation will be moved by the moderators.
* Keep the discussions on-topic, relevant and polite. Anything else WILL be removed by the moderators.
* If you start a new thread (to discuss a different rule) quote the existing rule in the first post so everyone knows what you're talking about.
* The existing rules (version 4.2) can be found here: http://robotwars101.org/ants/rules.htm
Andrew_Hibberd

2g) Any system involving the use of pressurised gas or liqui

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Parts have become light enough to in theory make a CO2 regulated antweight, All the parts that have higher pressure would have to be rated for this.

The weapon could be limited to 100psi to meet the rules or 150psi to meet the maximum rating of the valve. What are peoples thoughts on this?
TEAM GEEK!
haz

Re: 2g) Any system involving the use of pressurised gas or l

Post by haz »

Spooky, I was thinking about this earlier today. I would be okay with a raise in pressure.
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

why was there ever a limit specified in the first place? pneumatics are so difficult to get into 150g and 4 inches that there are few robots that use pressurised systems to drive a weapon anyway so why limit the pressure?
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Wouldn't the CO2 tank be classed as part of the system therefore breaking the rules, even if the rest of the system is limited to 100psi? I'd be against any use of CO2 in antweights. It's fine for people who know what they're doing, but inexperienced people could end up hurting themselves. I would agree with an increase to 150psi though, but I think that really should be the upper limit.
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

I'd be against any use of CO2 in antweights. It's fine for people who know what they're doing, but inexperienced people could end up hurting themselves
But wouldn't that be even more true with featherweights? And yet they run full pressure systems just fine..
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Max

Post by Max »

Hi,
I've been thinking about this and wondered if we could use propane as a gas? It could be stored in a tank as a liquid allowing for large volumes of gas to be stored in a small space allowing for an increased number of flips yet the tank would still be at a relatively low pressure ( around 130PSI at room temp).
There is the obvious issue of it's flammability but I wonder if there is a way around this such as a small extraction fan or simply to burn it off after a fight.

What are people's thoughts?
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

No. No flammable gases or liquids. Period.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt