Team Shakey Build Diary

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Shakey

Re: Team Shakey Build Diary

Post by Shakey »

bitternboy wrote:
I am also aiming to change stanleys shape to set it apart from other pushers
Just starting on the same principle, I think the 4wd pusher has been a bit samey recently. Lets see who can be more original. :)
Challenge accepted! You may win this one though. :P
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Here is the final version of Stanley Ready for print. It has a servo hold ontop so it can self right/maybe do a bit of lifting/flipping.

And because 8WD wasn't enough I upped the anti to 12WD.

The order has been placed (Along with some wheels for Formic and Flint).

This should address a lot of issues I found at the last event. Somehow the new chassis is lighter than the old one even though this has more things on it. So I used the spare weight to add a selfrighter, bigger wheels and more armour. It is also very wide about 120mm wide but short so it still fits in the cube, this is to make it harder to avoid the scoop and give more controlled turning and to help reduce the likelyhood of spinners catching the side *cough*Combatant*cough*. :lol:

Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Sill having trouble getting staney going but that is because it has had a radical design change. I was sitting there with a version and just measured the weight... 130grams with 4WD a chassis and wheels etc. But also with a small 15g servo which was for self righting.

So long story short I will be changing the electronics for room for a nice 22.5g servo so I can run a 4WD flipper!

Shakey

Post by Shakey »

After an excellent AWS 37 I have got a tonne of ideas to carry forwards. Here is the basic plan for the team:

Stanley - Re print the wheels to avoid wonkyness, change back to being long rather than wide to give we more space and shallower scoops. Get rid of the hinged one for a fixed one. No flipper just armour (More wheels? :P ). Change to 50:1 motors for more speed.

Accelerant - Armour, Armour, Armour. Generally making it stronger and able to take a beating better. Found a new type of servo to try which should make the flipper much more effective. Switch to 100:1 motors to slow it down a bit so I can control it better.

(As yet unamed spinner) - Do something with the spinner parts I have been collecting really... It will be vertical.

Shakey

Post by Shakey »

I got the main body of the featherweight finished and the drive wired up. The pneumatic system would work but lacks the safety features needed so that won't be gassed up until that is sorted. It is just at the stage it is presentable for marking. I will get the feather back from marking in a few weeks to get it from marking ready to combat ready.

Some pictures of the feather:

And a testing video:
http://youtu.be/kpLiZHlDETU

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Nice one Alex, its a good little mover. Reminds me of Ziggy, which is no faint praise!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

That is nice.I like the lifter mechanism.
I want one!
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Hmmm... Though this is a bit of threadomancy it should be fine what with it being my build thread. :P

With the death of Stanley at Aylesbury i have thought of a new design, sticking with the same drive system but dropping back to the 8WD but I have been toying with the idea of gearing some more wheels into it. And I want to try one of these newfangled fans. The only thing I worry about is how to do gearing for the drive train, the idea to run 3 wheels on each side off 1 motor. I might look into a simple self righting servo.

Accelerant needs some new electronics as I think I have messed with my Waller controller and sqeezed it into the chassis one too many times, though I have a very nice servo to go in. I plan to go for 100:1 motors to make it a more manageable speed.

I'm still thinking of a spinner but can't decide how to make the disc, plus the brishless motor and controller are being donated to stanley now.

My featherweight above was a tad heavy. :P Deciding I didn't have the capability to run CO2 that well I converted it into a purple fur covered pusher for Maidstone which has now donated its speed controllers to a new feather axebot. Mario has machined an excellent axe mechanism, that along with soem GR-02's and a 6s LiPo should be fun. Oh and this will have more lights than a christmas tree. I'll get some pictures as soon as the last of my parts arrive.

-Shakey

Shakey

Post by Shakey »

A quick post AWS update:

Stanley was performing well with it's new 50:1 motors and a drop to a 2 cell LiPo from 3 Cell. Quite impressed at the speed yet still retaining the controllability. Managed to drive my way to 2nd in the AWS with some good fights along the way with some fearsome opponents like void and the well driven chomp which got me in the end. Future plans for Stanley are merely keeping the exact same design but beefing up the chassis all over. The armour held up remarkably well and while I gathered a lot of dents from Dark Matter no serious damage was taken (except quite a few nicks out my wheels from the rumble). My experiment with 2mm Ali has impressed me enough to reuse it.

Accelerant never got to fight having to be withdrawn early due to electronic issues but it should be fighting at the next event. Possibility of reprinting a much more beefed up chassis and I need to rework the linkage after that showed issues.

I plan to add a Drum bot to my collection for next event and possibly another experimental robot but this may require clustering Accelerant with some kind of small 15g robot (Sorry to be one to bend the rules as such but I have too many designs and not enough slots). On the note of 15gram robots, impressive work by alsoran in one of the bouts completely disabling a fully fledged antweight for the main cluster bot to dispatch.

Thanks again to Will and the rest of the organisers for a great AWS!

Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Just out of sheer interest I tried a couple of stall tests on the Pololu HP motors (50:1).

At 8.4 V (2 cell LiPo fully charged) a peak stall current of 1.8 A was measured.
At 12.6 V (3 cell LiPo fully charged) a peak stall current of 3 A was measured before the motor windings promptly melted.

On the off chance this helps anyone :P

And this means that Stanley at stall will pull 6A o.O