Technical feather stuff

Something to tickle your fancy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: Technical feather stuff

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

MicroGravity, I think Jamie meant he'll talk to you about it at the AWS, not for you to actually bring your feather along...also, Haz, before you challenge Jamie to a street fight, you might want to know that his feather has a big spinning drum...lol
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
terminaldamage

Post by terminaldamage »

Yeah that's what I meant :)
Getting along to an event (with or without a robot) and asking questions/looking around other robots will probably teach you a lot more in a few hours than you could ever learn on the forum in a few weeks.

Not sure if the drum will be spinning or not, it needs a working battleswitch and its belt tensioned, but those are two-minute jobs so I guess I could see :wink:
But could only do at spin-up demo with it at most, outside and a safe distance away.

The ram is double acting which means you use gas to fire it and gas to retract it (less gas is used for retracting as there is less internal volume due to the space taken up by the piston rod) but if you want to conserve gas, one option is to get some bungee cord and attach it to your flipper, and just have that pull your flipper back down. This is a method used in most full pressure systems as they only tend to have one inlet to the ram, which is used to fire, so the bungee pulls the flipper back down when the gas is exhausted out of the ram. You'd need to make sure the elastic force of the bungee isn't so high that your flipper is struggling to flip against it, but you could play around with different types of bungee cord (more elastic, less elastic, more strands, less strands etc) and see what option works best.
Jamie McHarg
RogueTwo Robots
www.rogue-two-robots.vze.com

With great power, comes great reliability.
MicroGravity100

Post by MicroGravity100 »

Thanks for all the info, Jamie.
I'm signed up for the AWS and I will be there, and I would love to talk to you about building a featherweight. I've found everything required now except pipework, so does anyone know ehere I can get some Pipework for the ram and gas bottle? :)
Team Rapture
Flow (FW)
Ricochet (FW)
RPM (BW)
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I can sell you a gas bottle Jarvis actually :) I've got a 600g one with tap and connector for a regulator that I got before I realised that pneumatics were something I was out of my depth in - are you interested?
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
MicroGravity100

Thanks Joey, that sounds perfect! How much?
Team Rapture
Flow (FW)
Ricochet (FW)
RPM (BW)
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Sent a PM Jarvis ^^
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
terminaldamage

Post by terminaldamage »

MicroGravity100 wrote:does anyone know where I can get some Pipework for the ram
You get different sizes, but the bigger the better. 10mm seems to be a common size in featherweight low pressure pneumatics and you can get some from Technobots for roughly £1 per metre (and I can't imagine you'd need more than 2m at the very most) so it's nice and cheap :)

http://www.technobotsonline.com/nylon-t ... 32616.html

(also available in red or blue if you prefer)
Jamie McHarg
RogueTwo Robots
www.rogue-two-robots.vze.com

With great power, comes great reliability.
MicroGravity100

Thanks Jamie, but I'm buying a gas bottle with pipes already attatched from Joey.
Team Rapture
Flow (FW)
Ricochet (FW)
RPM (BW)
haz

Post by haz »

yay, a spinning drum!!!!!!! please we fight, if we like stand the other end of the street :lol: ive always wanted my feather to get broke by a spinner, its only been broken by flippers and an axe so far :D
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

It doesn't really have pipes attached, just a connector for a regulator...you'll still need the rest of the pipework ;P