parts

Something to tickle your fancy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I am curious as to what you are planning for this servo, is it not too small for a feather?
TEAM GEEK!
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

I was planning on using two to power a simple gripping claw. The description of the servo doesn't mention metal gears so I'm pretty sure it has plastic ones, I therefore figured the claw should look a bit like this...
http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac35 ... edclaw.png
...so as to be flexible and prevent the motor stalling.
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

why not just get a couple of torqier metal geared servo's for cheaper
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

I haven't managed to find a metal geared servo for less than ?15 with more than 10kg/cm torque.
Jonathan Atkinson
terminaldamage

Post by terminaldamage »

To be frank, that setup won't cut the mustard in a featherweight robot and will be hugely ineffective in battle. Even with two servos, the claw won't have enough power to hold another robot let alone crush one. You'd be much better off using a commercial linear actuator unit or home-made threaded rod/cordless drill combo actuator. For the ?30 it would cost to get two of those servos, you could pick up a decent actuator on eBay.

I don't want to dampen your spirits or discourage you from building a featherweight but using servos as weapons in this weight class simply won't work. The new beetleweight class is probably the last weight class where you can use servos before you have to start thinking about something bigger and more powerful.
Jamie McHarg
RogueTwo Robots
www.rogue-two-robots.vze.com

With great power, comes great reliability.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

i was considering using 2 of these in a beetleweight:

turnigy 31kg torque metal geared servo, ?15 each

i agree with jamie though for a feathwerweight, you can get a better crush for less with an actuator. if you're still interested in servos i can dig up the link if you want. saved it on my iphone awhile ago :)
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

A setup like that is a bit, I feel, beyond the reaches of my ability. How much torque would you need from the claw to be able to hold a featherweight in place, whether it be from servo, actuator etc. ? :-?

BTW don't worry about dampening my spirits, I've got most of the parts anyway. :)
Jonathan Atkinson
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Jonathan Atkinson
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

to be completly honest, servos just wont cut the mustard, im using a linear actuator on 12v with 600+ kg's of crush, and a 5/9mm welded steel claw, and thats basicly what it takes to make a effective crusher/grabber...servos wont hold any featherweight down, and probably strip right away.

you would be better off buying a actuator off ebay, or if you cant do that ditch the crusher idea or just mount it on a beetleweight, because as jamie says thats the biggest weightclass that it will have any effect in

also, i dont understand your question, are you asking if those motors would work instead if the servos, it will probably have a better chance, but still wont have much effect
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics