28th December 2009 - Robots Live - Snibston Discovery Park

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

robotslive

Post by robotslive »

Hi, we don't mind if you want to run whiteboards or competitions through the day, it would be nice to have something running most of the time, but that obviously depends on amount of robots ect. We've got some trophies your welcome to have if you want to run some competitions.

We're not making any money from this event, were doing it to advertise our Whitwick event and the sport in general. The only income is from the merchandise stall and the pay to drive setup, therefore we would appreciate it if you did keep letting people drive down to a minimum.

Cheers
Alan
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Are we going to run a spinner event or is it going to be non spinner fun?

Just throwing this out there: As people aren't going to stop for long if they are looking arround this may be a good time to try 3 or 4 way fights like the feathers and heavys. This is about showing off antweights to get more people interested not a serious 1v1 comp. Maybe even if we could reduce the pit size so they last a little longer too?
TEAM GEEK!
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

That sounds like an excellent idea, actually; Pete, do you still have the arena with the pits that start off closed and can be opened by a small pull-knob? If we had some longer fights, possibly with a few ants at once, as Hib suggested, it might be more interesting to watch than the 20 second fights that we seem to have currently, and lead to more overall time fighting and less time spent moving robots around and setting up fights.

Edit: If we were doing this, suspending the if-you-hit-the-wall-you're-out rule until the pits are opened would also make sense.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

That arena got damaged and I no longer have the cover so it couldn't be used even if I mended it but I could maybe look at filling in or a small wall at one end to keep things going longer and multi robot fights are always more fun to watch.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I have made up a unit that fills the ditch at the far end of the arena. This effectively gives a longer arena and makes it much more difficult to get the robots out so should give longer fights. It just sits in so if it doesn't work out we can remove it.
robotslive

Post by robotslive »

Times are 10am -5pm. Prices for admission can be found here http://www.leics.gov.uk/index/community ... prices.htm , entry to the robot zone is free, we will have free passes for the museum for roboteers, we would probably be able to swing you a couple more for family. We would like people to arrive 9-9.30am.

We have a 3 areas; the Stenson Room, this will be for the ants, with tables/power and a projector, so we will try and link a camera in so fights can be seen on the screen; Ellis Room, this will used as a theatre with DVD playing (was going to have workshops running, but thats on hold), and the balcony where the heavys will be on display with the Pay to Drive (anything too big to fit in the lift will be put downstairs).

There is a cafe, but be warned like most museums they are abit expensive. Hopefully this will be a nice relaxed event, with the chance to have a bit of fun and a natter, we're probably going out for a meal afterwards, which you're all welcome.

If anybody is able to bring info/photos of building robots, protoypes, old robots, that sort of thing that would be of interest to people, please bring it along, we'll be digging out some of our old 'bots to put on show.

If you need anymore info let me know.
Cheers
Alan
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Just finished getting ready, see you all there :)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Just got back, had a really good day ^^ Congratulations to Andy for winning (AGAIN) and to all the others who competed, and thanks, as always, to the organisers.

We seemed to have a lot of interest throughout the day, and gave out a lot of little cards, so hopefully we'll get some more interest from it.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

It was a good event having one ditch filled made for longer and more interesting fights and I think there was only one that went to the judges.
I was pleased with Anticyclone it proved a lot easier to drive than my other spinners even though the disc broke on Kwijbo's disc.
I can't help thinking you are being a little modest Scott seeing as the full spinner final was the only fight(s) you lost all day.
Results:
Non_Spinner
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n66/ ... sonNS2.jpg
Full_Spinner
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n66/ ... sonFS2.jpg
Last edited by peterwaller on Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I enjoyed this event dispite getting Stewie and Baby Hell ripped up by the 3 spinners (how's that for bad luck ? 3 spinners and I had to fight all 3 and 1 of them twice!)

I'll be back for 2010, better for this event :)