AWS26

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Well, I believe that nowadays 90% of the competitors are on the comittee anyway aren't we?
August is difficult to predict for me too, the 9th is my brothers birthday, so I dont think I'd be free then.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Hi Craig, which events are you coming to in the near future? We might be able to arrange a meeting... It would be good to see you again anyway.

Simon
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Just reading through this thread, and it seems that the committee members who expressed an opinion said no to this.

Craig didn't come back to us on this, and he's running a major competition at the end of August as well (perhaps instead???) as this

So are there any other offers to run AWS26? we're thinking of running RRC15 on 12th July, but this could be changed if it doesn't tie up with AWS26?

Anyone else for AWS26?

Simon
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

damn, i will probably be in Spain at that time but if things change i may be able to attend
also its around the same time as rebel robots so i guess i now have to choose...
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The AWS dates have always been nominally February/March, June/July and October/November and these seem to have worked well in the past.

This year AWS25 has moved to April to co-incide with the school holidays, but the intention (as I understood it) was that this was an exception.

However, with Modelworld now (hopefully) a regular fixture I guess the spring AWS will be moving to March.

We have tried running the Summer AWS during the school holidays and the turnout has been low, most likely because many people are on hoiday.

I see the Robots Live Reading event is in October, maybe we want to try to avoid having an AWS too close.

I do not think it is practical to have an AWS at a public event, especially one where we have to fit the fights in around everyone else. It takes us all day as it is!

I propose that AWS 26 is held at the "usual" time, around late June/early July. I know it won't suit everybody, but hopefully it will be OK for the majority. I'm happy to host it if no-one else is able to.

Simon, I think May would be the best time for the next RRC, but we need to know if/when Greanz' North London event is going to happen.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Let's not wait for Greanz. It might never happen, IMHO.

So, does anyone want to host AWS26?

Simon
olivers

Post by olivers »

I think Aug maybe bad due to holidays and the huge amount of people at a public event. There is normally only enough room around the arena for antweight roboteers, let alone the general public.

Saying that i'll be on holiday from Mid Jul-end Jul.

We could always have RRC at the start of July, just before AWS26. Then have Craig's venue in Aug. This would mean AWS26 would have to be about the 2nd weekend of July.

Edit: Have checked and I will most likely be away from Jul 17th until the end of Jul.
Last edited by olivers on Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

If the AWS is going to be in the second week of July, I will be unable to attend, as I fly out to Las Vegas on the 12th July. If RRC is done the first week I can attend that
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Dave, you mentioned about the possibility of running an AWS, are you up for this one?
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Providing I can do it in August I'd be well up for it