Robots Live (and RRC 16) Reading - 11th / 12th October 2008

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

i'm with u dave, it will mean someone could machine a billet of ally to make there robot thou, but that said i want to be able to do that
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

If you can do that, why shouldnt you? It'll still be a beatable robot, still 150g, still 4 inch cube...it almost seems like a rule saying "you're robot must be able to be damaged by a spinner in some way". A spinner will still catch the robot and throw it out the ring wont it, which is what most do anyways.
I mean, obviously I wont be milling a robot out of a block of alu (no duct tape involved) but I cant see much advantage in letting other people do so...
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

abso f---ing lutly I couldnt agree more

also a billet robot is not guarnteed to not get damaged by a spinner

I could go to my shed tonight and machine up a robot out of some aluminium or titanium but that wont stop it getting thrown out of the arena by DBA or Combatant or my poor driving could let me down or be beaten by a much better driver

how the robot is made does not asure victory, we shouldnt restrict builders
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I don't beleive it is just to ensure spinners can do damage as you say they can still throw it out of the arena and in some cases can get through aluminium. It is the axes, hammers and crushers that are almost impossible to make do damage even with plastic that will suffer the most.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

When was the last time an axe, hammer or crusher weapon was used to do damage in antweights? They're used more as grappling tools.
And still, if someone wants to build a crusher or hammer then thats their choice isnt it. Like you choose to build a flipper, even though most robots now run inverted. Its up to the builder.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

This is an old rule. I think it dates back to when there was a robot called da gaffa.
It was a single piece of ali bent to form the chassis. It was still quite beatable as it had heavily exposed wheels.
I am not sure about ant weights constructed out of ali billets but I think we can relax the rule some what.
<-=AWS 10 1st and 2nd champ=->
<-=AWS 13 1st and 2nd champ=->