Robots Live (and RRC 16) Reading - 11th / 12th October 2008

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Third in the nonspinner was non other than your son Nathan with Fast Dalek. You will be in trouble if he finds out you forgot that.
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

Thanks for running the ants this weekend, it was great to be able to enter Ant Awe into a proper competition.

Well done to Simon with Dynamite for winning the non spinners and to the other winners as well.

Ant Awe is getting a couple of small changes (faster motors are first on the to do list) but I was really pleased with how well it worked for its first outing.

Thanks again and I hope to see you all again soon
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Looked brilliant that, thanks for the videos Simon. A good number of new builders!
Will, will Ant Awe be present at the AWS?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

If we do this again I'll see if I can bring some modified servos and stuff and let HW or FW roboteers or their kids have a go at building an antweights.

Simon
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Something occoured to me a while ago: Will's, Wendy's and Alex's ants are all illegal due to the metal armour rules, stating that it can't be a bent over plate. Hope they can change that, would be a shame for them not to fight
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Yes, somebody else spotted that about "Ant" during the weekend. Luckily the RRC isn't too bothered about the rules, but they wouldn't be allowed to compete in an AWS for sure.

Simon
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

Hi,

Ant Awe, Ant and Dec were not designed to compete in the AWS, they were made to play around with between the heavyweight and featherweight fights at roaming robots and robots live and the current versions will definately not be at an AWS.

I would love to come to an AWS at some point- The next version of ant awe will be fully compliant with the rules and may well be attending an AWS soon.

After competing last weekend though I definately want to compete more often with ant awe!
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

Doesn't Ant Awe's flipper count as a separate piece of metal? I imagine its hinged, so the whole thing isn't a monocock (so to speak).
I don't know what Ant and Dec look like...were there any still pictures from the event? I know there are Simon's videos, but there's so many newbies I dont know who's who.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

The current rules say that a continuous or welded sheet of metal covering more that a third of the circumference of the robot is illegal. The three new robots (and stupidly I didn't take photos) Ant, Dec and Ant Awe all have a similar Electra/Firestorm style where the back and sides are metal armour, and are therefore strictly speaking illegal.
They were definitely created within the spirit of the rules however ( continuous armour at the back and sides), and we were very happy to see them there.

We're going to sign up for the Easter Robot Rumble, and anything else in the bottom half of England that we can come to, until the spring and My wife's bowling takes over, that is.

Simon
Remote-Controlled Dave

Does that rule need a little modification? Im not too sure it matters anymore...one for the committee to discuss?
I, for one, would be quite happy fighting anything like that. As long as they fit the weight and size regulations, then I don't see why not.
What was the original reason for the rule?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39