AWS26

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: petec, administrator, BeligerAnt

Craig_Anto3

AWS26

Post by Craig_Anto3 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:36 am

I'd Like to host AWS26 or what ever it is in the summer of 08, on Aug 9th at a local festival in which i am running a heavyweight event

event will be Burntwood Staffs near Lichfield (ish), the festival attractted 12,000people last year would be great to bring ants to a large public event

leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:55 am

So it would be Heavyweight and Antweight? Feathers as well?
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website

Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:06 am

yes feathers also, not an FRA event as of yet, need to come home, in Feb not March now, and talk to Mr Kane but it will be, cant see why it wouldnt

I can offer you and Tim Accommodation but thats about it i think i dont expect you to come Leo, i'm sure it will be close to the UK Champs and i would expect you to prioritise that

leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:10 am

Well that depends, if they run the UK champs in the same place as last year I might give it a miss. But we will see.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website

Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:15 pm

We're usually away on holiday during the first part of the summer holidays, sorry Craig.

Simon

muchalucha

Post by muchalucha » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:34 pm

too far and that sounds a gbreat one :(
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide

BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:17 pm

The problem with August is that it's holiday time. We don't have a free weekend in August at all.

Whilst a public demonstration is a good thing, I don't think an AWS is a good public demonstration. A "serious" competition is not the best way to provide an entertaining demonstration.

Run ants by all means, but I do not think it should be an AWS competition.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt

teamocean

Post by teamocean » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:44 pm

I think I should be able to come to this one with my feathers by then we should have 6 featherweights and possibly a heavy.

Also i will have been off for 5 weeks before then so it would be good to have an event to get ready for.
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:34 am

Craig I seem to remember some time ago that we decided that AWS events would not be run along side other robot events as it was too difficult to get through all the battles when frequecies had to be shared. With the advent of 2.4Ghz this may well have changed so I suggest you put it to the committee meeting at AWS25. As Gary says there is no reason you couldn't have ants anyway maybe your UK Antweight Championship that you were going to organise.

Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:52 am

I do remember that conversation we all had, however i have run 3 AWS in the past and i know how to make it work, I cant see why an AWS in an event tailored to Ants could be a problem
I'm back in 3 weeks to pester you all in person, Many apologies i'm not online that much (i'm in New Zealand) I'll come and pled my case in a few weeks, would the commitee like to meet with me?

I would like a private descusion with you all.

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:35 am

Well, I believe that nowadays 90% of the competitors are on the comittee anyway aren't we?
August is difficult to predict for me too, the 9th is my brothers birthday, so I dont think I'd be free then.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39

Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:02 pm

Hi Craig, which events are you coming to in the near future? We might be able to arrange a meeting... It would be good to see you again anyway.

Simon

Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:37 pm

Just reading through this thread, and it seems that the committee members who expressed an opinion said no to this.

Craig didn't come back to us on this, and he's running a major competition at the end of August as well (perhaps instead???) as this

So are there any other offers to run AWS26? we're thinking of running RRC15 on 12th July, but this could be changed if it doesn't tie up with AWS26?

Anyone else for AWS26?

Simon

Team Orr

Post by Team Orr » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:04 pm

damn, i will probably be in Spain at that time but if things change i may be able to attend
also its around the same time as rebel robots so i guess i now have to choose...
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics

BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:47 pm

The AWS dates have always been nominally February/March, June/July and October/November and these seem to have worked well in the past.

This year AWS25 has moved to April to co-incide with the school holidays, but the intention (as I understood it) was that this was an exception.

However, with Modelworld now (hopefully) a regular fixture I guess the spring AWS will be moving to March.

We have tried running the Summer AWS during the school holidays and the turnout has been low, most likely because many people are on hoiday.

I see the Robots Live Reading event is in October, maybe we want to try to avoid having an AWS too close.

I do not think it is practical to have an AWS at a public event, especially one where we have to fit the fights in around everyone else. It takes us all day as it is!

I propose that AWS 26 is held at the "usual" time, around late June/early July. I know it won't suit everybody, but hopefully it will be OK for the majority. I'm happy to host it if no-one else is able to.

Simon, I think May would be the best time for the next RRC, but we need to know if/when Greanz' North London event is going to happen.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt