RobotWars TV Series

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Which was the best RobotWars TV Series

RW1 (the one with Clarkson)
8%
RW2 (Panic Attack champ)
8%
RW3 (The infamous accident)
17%
RW4 (Chaos 2 and the first annihilator)
33%
RW5 (Razer beats damaged Bigger Brother)
8%
RW6 (Tornado and their anti-pit device)
8%
RW7 (Thunderpants fails miserably)
17%

Total votes: 12

petec

RobotWars TV Series

Post by petec »

Not sure this should really be under Events, but its my board....:-)

I've started copying my old VHS over to the PC to go on DVDs. I did the RobotWars Revealed that I appeared in in series 2. Haven't watched it for years and I was quite shocked to see Phillipa Forrester doing a piece to camera stood in the middle of the arena with all the house robots, stage effects and everything fully activated....it's actually quite amazing how much the safety did change...I remember walking round the arena before the guantlet with virtually no lights on and the fire effects operating....hmm!

Anyway, <rosetintedspecs> any comments on the TV series, particularly the older ones, welcomed here...</rosetintedspecs>
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

To me it was series 4. Its the first serie where the competitions were held with mostly reliable machines making it more of a competition than a roll of the dice.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Same for me as Leo.
I however find the rest of the series more like set-ups to just make better TV
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

For me it is Series 3. It was the first series I ever saw, and I still think the quality of the fights and robots were brilliant to this day. It and series 4 were the only series that I didn't have spoiled by BBC Choice as well with people posting results before they were aired on BBC 2. Series 7 was spoiled by some idiot on the FRA forum.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I have a fondness for the earlier series'. I've watched series 1 back fairly recently, and I still think that the mortis vs recyclopse fight is one of the best ever, taking into account the time it happened. Series 3 and 4 was where it really began to hit its stride in terms of full combat, but I'll always have a fondness for the games of the first 2 series, and wonder what some of the robots who lost out in the early stages would have actually been like in combat.
If only it was still going today, then maybe me and Marco would get on. *sigh*
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
malivoirec

Post by malivoirec »

I think that the first 2 series were the best for me as these were the series that although most of the fights were ended due to a single hit or a flip would make a robot immobalised, At that time people concerntrated on making the robot look good as well as their performance. Even primative robots such as plunderbird 1, recyclops or another extendable flipper, Ivenhoe, Elvis, Nemisis or even phycosprout still catch my immagination more than plain coloured boxes on wheels which have one zillion horsepower or a unpainted pneumatic flipper that can throw 100kg robots 30 feet in the air. Robot wars in the earlier series prioritised for the robots to look good for TV and I think that this is one of the reasons why it eventually became so popular.
Fortune cookie says: Pain is meerly a feeling;
unless its PERMANANT FOREVER.

Fortune cookie no.2 says: Take heed of
Last cookie
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

all the wars were good but i liked extream 2 as there was so much more damage than in the other wars,and the robots were more reliable, for example in the 3rd wars plunderbird didn't even move
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics