Roaming Robots: Aylesbury - Sunday 13th May 2007

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

wow that was an experience. Some of those inderviduals are in my books as the rudest I have ever met.
If any one who was new came to an AWS and one of the vets went up to them and described how they were about to be destroyed.....they wouldnt get away with it within the comunity.
Its not surprising to see less and less heavy weights around when there are those ideots at competitions. A handfull were nice and helpful however.

Any hows, I am well sorry about not brining an ant weight. We have been planning to compete with the heavy at aylesbury since mid March.
Everything started getting hairy when my work was due in on the 11th. I was surprised that I got the heavy done by that time but I just didnt have time left to fix up chrono trigger. Im really sorry guys.
But I think we all agree. Ant weights are a big part of this hobby. When ever there wasnt a heavy weight fight, everyone was looking at them. Im surprised that RR dont beg us back as midfight entertainment for large events.
As a spectator I would be rather board waiting 5-10 minutes between fights then watching a 3 min max fight. It could so easily be a 3 min heavy weight fight and then ant weights on the big screen.
<-=AWS 10 1st and 2nd champ=->
<-=AWS 13 1st and 2nd champ=->
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Hey Marco, that Can Crusher guy was just a psycho, I expect all the heavyweight people are used to him, but he nearly spoiled my day. I'll remember to steer clear of him in the future.

Yes, I mentioned to Angela and John that we were running robot fights all day. They're very kind, but I think they don't quite see it our way that we can really fill a gap for them, and as I mentioned before, I really don't think we're up to peforming exhibition fights on a regular basis.

If we could commit to attending with RR on (let's say) 50% of their events then I think we'd be in business, but they won't take us seriously if we can't really pitch in, and it wasn't just you (Dave Dave and Marco) not bringing antweights (I wasn't pointing the finger by the way) we just don't have the depth of personell that we had three years ago.

All the best - Simon
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

The atmosphere between roboteers during roaming robots events are no different from roboteers at aws.

If you had a bad experience with one of them (I'm guessing Andy Kane) dont think that all are like that. Andy happens to be the one roboteer that has destroyed 2 of my heavies. But to me that is part of the game so I dont let that bother me. But there are many roboteers that helped me and do know when enough is enough.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

I never said that that getting destroyed during combat wasnt about what we do. Its the backstage stuff. You dont see pete waller walking round the pits saying "im gona chop ur wheels off then tear ur rx out of its case"
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

Yeah that was definatly Andy. :)

He usually says these things "as a joke" but the problem is you can never tell. But as Kane Aston and Dave Weston can testify, roboteers in the feather and heavyweight leagues are just as collegial and friendly as the ones at AWS/RRC.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Andy was not even there so it wasn't him. I am not sure who upset Marco but I think it was Canopener's driver that Simon was refering to.
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

Kan-opener is Andy's robot. In any case, my point is that it is NOT something that normaly happens at robot events of any weight class.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Everyone else was fine, in fact, Stu let me have a drive of his robot, which was great, and I chatted to a few of the others as well no problem.

Perhaps this guy was having a bad day (I'd happily name him, but I don't know his name, he's old with short grey hair and glasses) when this guy unplugged our power without telling us because "it was causing the circuit breakers to trip" and he would plug us back in "soon" but couldn't tell me when, some other robototeers let me plug into their socket, (and I'm not even sure it was the psycho's socket anyway) and we could get back to business. Needless to say, we didn't trip any circuits at all.

So as I say, a psycho, but everyone else was fine, and we still had a good day.

Simon
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Bit of a senior moment there I read the post saying Andy Cane and in my mind I was thinking of Kane of the Behemoth team.
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

It really didnt bother me that much. Its just not the nicest thing to say to completly new competitors as they are just starting.