Brighton Model World 2007 - 16th-18th February

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Simon Windisch

Brighton Model World 2007 - 16th-18th February

Post by Simon Windisch »

Hi there,

Sorry for stepping on your toes Gary, but I happened to be speaking to Jonno about going to Roaming Robots tomorrow, and I mentioned that I saw that he was taking Roaming Robots to Brighton Model World http://www.brightonmodelworld.com/.

I asked him if we could be part of his stand, as we did (quite successfully) at Expo London and he said probably yes, and that he would be talking to the Brighton Model World organiser tomorrow at Birmingham, and that he would mention it to him.

So, we might as well use this thread to say if we're thinking of going. We are, I'm not sure which day, perhaps both?

Simon
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

To be honest, I'd rather we did our own thing, but if it gets us in then it must be good. I'm still waiting for the organiser to phone me. If he's in Birmingham at the weekend then I guess it might not be imminent.

Model world is 3 days, Friday to Sunday. From what I gather the Friday is quieter than the weekend, but the show is open 10:00 to 5:30 every day.

I suppose I ought to do all 3 days as I'm the most local :( Heck, I might even get to drive the robots if James is at school on the Friday! :D
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I am very interested in attending this because it might give me an oppertunity to take Hell's Angel out for a spin (my FW) as well as my ants. Besides, I liked my last trip to brighton (AWS 20). Nice place :)

I heard somewhere the event might become an AWS, but I think that is untrue because pete is doing it in Aylsebury.

I think I'll be there on the weekend, but I dunno about the friday, because I may well be working
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

OK Guys, I've just spoken to Tim Steven the Modelworld Exhibition Manager (just back from RR @ Birmingham!).

Basically, they are keen to have us and apologised that we "slipped through the net" and didn't get invited back after out first visit.

So we are in under our own banner, I will get the paperwork later this week, where we get to define the space and resources we require (or would like!). Roaming Robots will be there in the main hall with their 5m arena (the one they used at Aylesbury). We will not be directly associated with them and may not even be near them. IMO this is probably a good thing.

There is the possibility of some expenses being paid, but the bucket of money is getting rather low at this late stage. Reasonable travel/parking expenses will probably be OK, but the budget for accomodation is getting a bit tight already.

This will not be an AWS, it will be an exhibition and publicity exercise. Since it is likely to be only one or two weeks before AWS22, fights are likely to be limited to non-spinners, with some spinner demonstrations interleaved to keep the crowds happy!

If you are likely to be able to come, please post below.
Any ideas for the stand, also post below.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Hi Gary, good work. We'll be there, but I don't know which day/days yet.

Simon
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Gary, Thinking about what we will need from the organisers, apart from space, chairs and tables...

I'd say we should ask for free entry for our exhibitors and a car permits, or whatever we need to get our stuff into the event without having to carry it for miles.

Oh, and we will need mains power as well.

We managed to keep going pretty much the whole of Sunday at Expo London, but not without cost in batteries and servos.

Might I suggest that we reintroduce Super-heavies at Brighton Model World, simply to give us access the the kind of batteries we will need to drive all day.

And while I'm having ideas, might I suggest that someone with polycarbonate to spare builds a display case about 20cm high, 20cm deep and 100cm wide, so that we can display all our lovliest deadly looking robots without endangering the public, or having our robots stolen?

Simon
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Simon Windisch wrote: Might I suggest that we reintroduce Super-heavies at Brighton Model World, simply to give us access the the kind of batteries we will need to drive all day.
Super Heavies ? Don't you mean Super-ants ?
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Hi Simon,
I might just be several steps ahead of you!

Good thinking, except I suspect you meant super-ants rather than super-heavies ??? :o

AFAIK there's a park & ride organised for the exhibition. Since the organisers are talking about covering travel expenses, I'm sure they could run to free park & ride. I will check this out if it's not mentioned in the paperwork.

There must be some arrangements for dropping off and picking up big stuff like arenas. Our stuff is small compared to the 5" gauge live steam locos and huge model railway layouts that are regularly exhibited.

I'm sure we can get free entry for at least a few people, hopefully we can make it "n" people per day, rather than particular named people.

I have a "display box" which can happily house 3 ants, maybe 4 at a push. If anyone has any polycarbonate or acrylic to spare then another one or two would be useful. The back and base can be wood to reduce the amount of plastic needed.

I am now involved in running antweight events in local schools through an organisation called Setpoint. They have lots of antweight "kits" (Tx, Rx, 2xSD200's, 4xAA battery pack). Hopefully I will be able to borrow a couple of kits in exchange for some publicity. I would add a weapon servo to each and build a couple of simple demo bots that should have enough battery power to run all day.

Since we will only be running demonstration fights, I don't think there's any problem with running overweight ants with high-capacity battery packs.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

I have now received the application form and things are becoming a little clearer. Some important points:
  • Exhibitors get free entry. Passes are issued each day. We have to say how many passes we require (each day).

We are permitted to exhibit and recruit new members. We are not permitted to sell anything (I don't think that's a problem).

The exhibit will be insured for the duration of the exhibition and during transit. We must provide a total value for the insurance.

The stand must be manned from 10:00 to 5:30 each day. We cannot pack up until after 5:30 Sunday.

Children under the age of 14 will be allowed into the venue as exhibitors only with the written permission of the organisers.

Subsidised refreshments will be available (but you might still want to take your own!)

There is free exhibitors parking and transport to/from the venue.

Travel costs will be reimbursed (we have to provide an estimate).

There is an accommodation allowance of ?27 per night (again, we have to state how many people and which nights. You have to book your own accommodation).

All electrical equipment should meet current safety standards and may be tested during the exhibition.
The booking form asks for various information, so I need to know ASAP from anyone who is definitely coming to help with this. I think we could do with 6-8 people for the Saturday and Sunday. We can probably get away with less for the Friday. I will be there and I will get permission from the organisers for James to help too.
So, we could do with 4-6 people for Sat/Sun and ideally a couple for Friday. Please email me or post below which day(s) you can come.

If you are coming, I need the following information BY FRIDAY 10th NOVEMBER:
  • Name
    Day(s) you will be attending
    Approximate total value of equipment you will be bringing
    Approximate fuel costs
    Approximate travel costs (specify)
    Other expenses (specify - meals not claimable)
    Night(s) you need accommodation (note ?27 will not cover the entire cost of accommodation!)
We also need a stand name and a 6-word description to go in the Exhibition Guide. Unless anyone comes up with anything better, I will use "Antweight Robots" and "miniature remote controlled combat robots"

The Modelworld website is: http://www.brightonmodelworld.com
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Name: David Weston
Day(s) you will be attending: Saturday and Sunday
Approximate total value of equipment you will be bringing: ?200
Approximate fuel costs: None
Approximate travel costs (specify): Whatever it cost me for the bus to brighton if I don't pass my test
Other expenses: None
Night(s) you need accommodation: 1 night (Saturday night), coming on Sat morning, going on Sunday evening