Double Elimination

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Peter, there's something wrong with the 7-way group. It's a bit hard to explain but here goes...

If you number the entrants from top to bottom#1 to #7, then the loser of the 1st round fight between #5 & #6 goes into a fight against a robot that has appeared from nowhere!

I agree with Rhys that it seems fairer to keep the groups as close in size as possible. I can't think of any downside to that.

The groups still need some minor tweaking I think.
Currently 2 robots can meet each other in the first round, then again in the third round (losers bracket). The losers from the second round (winners bracket) should swap to the opposite sub-group of the losers bracket. They could still meet in the play-off for second place in the group, but I think that is unavoidable.
There is still the problem of losing in the first round being better than losing in the second round! This might only apply to the 6- and 7-way groups. For the 6-way group, losing in the first round requires 4 fights to get to 2nd place, whereas losing in the second round then requires a total of 5 fights to get to 2nd place. At least the difference is only +/-1 fight now. I don't know if it can get any better.

Thanks for putting the effort in Peter 8)
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Slight slip on the seven group now corrected.
Rhys's idea on keeping the group size as close as possible is a great idea I have now updated the links to the new version.
I am not convinced that having to fight the same robot twice is that much of a problem compared to how difficult it is to draw it on a diagram. :roll:
At the moment each chart prints out at A4 with the boxes just the right size for an Avery label. If we can reach agreement on this I will probably print out the charts and laminate them. Then with sets of labels for each robot with the name printed on we can place them on the chart and build up a record of the event. I will have another look to see if any of the differences in the number of battles can be reduced so if any one has any idea's please let me know.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I know I should get out more but I have again been refining my double elimination charts. I decided that 8 groups was to many and it would be nice to get it all on one chart. So what I have done is produce diagrams for groups of 5,6,7,8,9,10,11 and 12 to cover 20 - 48 enties. I have also produced a large A2 chart of the four group finals with boxes the right size to take the group sheet. The idea is once you know the final number of entries you stick the four appropriate groups sheets onto the a2 chart and end up with one complete chart.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n66/ ... i4gpA2.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n66/ ... /12way.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n66/ ... 5way-1.jpg