AWS21

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

olivers

Post by olivers »

Not all the pics I took came out. Some were blurred where it needed a flash, I may have photos but they weren't that good.

Anteater had issues after the first fight with 1 drive wheel. Gross Inconpetence lost drive in it's last fight, looks like the logic board.

Where does it say AQS 21? I had a look but can't see it. W and Q are next to each other anyway :)
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

In the list of champions, 2nd place and 3rd place, its AQS21 (http://www.antweight.co.uk/winners.htm)
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Both RONNY and Antipathy suffered broken servo horns after tangling with spinners. Both had the arm ripped clean off the hub. :o
Antlifter is due to be rebuilt with FastComponents motors an dLi-poly battery pack as it is soooo slow with S62s and tiny wheels.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Can you get metal servo horns ? Might be an idea to make some if not
olivers

Post by olivers »

You tend to get metal servo horns for the very high torque digital servos (15kg/cm+). For the smaller servos it is pointless, especially since they have weak plastic gears inside.

I have issues with S62's too. I have broken a few of the splined output shafts.
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Hi Dave, I've looked into this, and you can get metal servo horns for some servos, they're nearly impossible to make without precision eqipment, as you need to be able to spline, and in any case, if you did have metal servo horns then wouldn't the next weak link on the chain the the servo output shaft?

All the best

Simon
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Depends what you're using them for. I wanted a metal one for the flipper on Duff, as the plastic one keeps snapping. The direction the forces are acting in shouldn't affect any other part of my servo.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The weapon servo in both cases is an HS-81 with metal gears. I'm fairly confident that the servo itself is fairly indestructible!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Well if you can find a horn to fit those metal gear servos Gary, then it takes out the 'weak link' as simon put it, since the rest of the servo is strong. Quesion is, what would fit ?
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

razerdave wrote:So what have you guys learned from this, and also, what went wrong with the various robots (Joacim in paticular). I know what went wrong with FIN's servo. Two simple words: Wrong socket ! I put the right wheel in Ch3 which is Baby Hell's weapon channel, and it was on ful whack and it didn't twig until later that that was the problem. All together now: D'OH!

Oh well, it happens. a few other things I've learnt from AWS 21:

1: Picos are only good in fleaweights
2: Shen Qi cars have very bad steering and torque, but good fun
3: Always take spare crystals (sorry for arsing you around Dave L and Scott for holding up the fights)
4: Sponge and Spinners don't mix well (Great to watch though Dave L :))
5: Learning to drive is essential ! (Both robots and cars: I didn't get back home until 11:15pm on Saturday because of public transport !)

So what about you guys ?
1. I learnt not to drive straight at a spinner. I kind of knew this already, but it was kind of reinforced after the event.
2. I also learnt I'll have to shout submit louder next time.
3. Must be a bit more precise with the engineering. Bottletops and glue are only good for so long. That and I only ended up with 2 robots due to poor efforts building my other 2. Look out for a much more slick operation at AWS22.
4. Get more sleep before and event!
5. Find some fiendish plan to beat Hib. I've lost to him at every AWS I've been to except AWS16. A plan is needed!

Learnt many other things too, but far too many to mention.

Also, I know it's still soon, but any news on the DVD Pete? And any news about AWS22? I think someone mentioned PeteW was arranging it, but any idea (rougly) when and where?