Minisumo Competition

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

slurp

Post by slurp »

So is there to be a rematch at AWS 21?

Would Peter manage to keep his crown? or will Jame's improve his edge?

regards,
colin
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The intention is to make the minisumo competition a regular part of the AWS. For the benefit of any future AWS organisers, I am happy to organise the minisumo competition if you want. Just ask!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I have been playing with varius parts, so should have edge dectection and some simple tactics next time. So hopefully will put up a fight. Will explore into micro processors when i have some money. I am really getting into this now.
TEAM GEEK!
slurp

Post by slurp »

Andrew_Hibberd wrote:Will explore into micro processors when i have some money.
The PICaxe is very cheap to start with... about 3 or 4 quid depending on which of the "18" range you go for, the 18X I'd recommend. (shame it's another 3 quid postage!)

All that's required for programming is a serial cable you can patch into the circuit or breadboard, a couple of resistors and their free software.

regards,
colin
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The Picaxe chip can be programmed using a graphical flowcharting method, or a BASIC-style proprietary language. All the tools are free.

The Microchip PIC can be programmed in assembler or C. Free tools are available, various cheap programmers are available to buy or build. The Picaxe is a PIC chip with a bootloader program built in to make the downloading of programs (slightly) easier.

The Atmel Atmega series are just as cheap as the PICs. They can be programmed in C or assembler. They are better suited to C than the PICs. Free tools are available and a trivial programmer can be built for next to nothing.

There are plenty of suitable microcontrollers around, many at very low prices. It may make sense to base a choice around tools and programmers.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Thanks :) will research into them so may well have 'artificial intellegence' of sorts.

Edit

I will invest in the 28A starter kit so i can start from the very begining.
TEAM GEEK!