Double Elimination

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Ian, you said exactly the same as Pete!
With groups of 8, you need to win 3 out of 3 or 4 fights to get to the quarter finals. With 7 in a group, 2 get byes (one first round winner, one first round loser as described above). With 6 in a group you get 4 byes, and with 5 in a group, 5 byes. I have now satisfied myself that the byes do not propagate, except for with groups of 5 where you end up with a bye in the third round. One person gets 2 byes whilst another gets none in this situation! The lucky person would then get to the q.final having lost one, got 2 byes and won one. I think groups of 5 are to be avoided where possible!

The only alternatives to byes are melees or mini-leagues in the early rounds. Melees are also slightly unfair, as it is possible to qualify just by staying out of trouble! Mini-leagues really need even numbers of entrants to work fairly - all the leagues really need to be the same size, or it's just like having byes in double-elim.

Andy, AWS14 worked on 2 groups of 16 and it does get mighty complicated! I have it all drawn out on paper, but I need to find some way of putting it in a usable electronic format.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

The only problem with that method Dave is that teams tend to be the same (umm can't think of the right word, something like) goodness.
Andy, yea, I thought about this, but had no way to word it either. But is that necessarily a bad thing? Means it gives anyone a chance of winning.
Melees are also slightly unfair, as it is possible to qualify just by staying out of trouble!
I agree totally with this point, as I exploited the strategy at AWS17, and, with hindsight, think it was a bad way to play it.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I have actually drawn out a chart for all the combinations you just fill in the names as directed. I will try and get them in a format that you can read if your interested Gary.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

I think it would be really useful to get the charts into some sort of downloadable form. I'm sure we could persuade PeteC to host it along with the other event organising stuff I've given him and the online registration system.

Since all the draws are pre-determined, it would lend itself to automation. I might have a go at it sometime.

Downloadable forms to fill in by hand are probably best as pdf's. I have a pdf generator if you need one.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Spare a thought for poor Oliver or anyone else who puts results up online. It cant be TOO complicated...
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39