Hosting an event

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Hosting an event

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I thought it'd be a good idea to put up some kind of guidelines for how to host an event, for those of us thinking of offering ourselves up, but are not sure what we would be getting ourselves into.
I will be at Leeds Trinity and All Saints Uni in September, and would like to see if I can set up an event there, maybe even an AWS (mainly so I don't have to travel. lol).
Those of you who are seasoned pro's at this, what does it take to organise a successful venue and event?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

There is a guide on my site (in the tech talk section), which I have recently re-written and updated for PeteC to put on the RW101 site. Not sure where it's got to though, I think he's been a bit busy of late...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

A question to Oliver (and those who can answer this one) How do you become a good driver? And how do you other see that Oliver is a good driver (and lucky!)?
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
josh

Post by josh »

no offence but PRACTISE duh! (well thats wat every body else says :P )
Remote-Controlled Dave

Oliver's had lots of practice, but he was a good driver beforehand as well. I may be the only one, but if you have robot wars series 1 on video, heat 4 (the featherweight one), his driving of Cunning Plan was superb in the gauntlet! Maybe it's just him. lol

Found the guide on your sight, thanks Gary.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The "Best Driver" award is always a tough call. In fact, I think we found it so hard at AWS16(?) we didn't award it at all! (No-one really stood out).
It seems to be down to performance on the day, as AFAIR there has been no consistant winner.
Like most things, practice helps. Good concentration and fast reflexes help too - maybe now you can justify all those hours sat in front of the PlayStation?
Oh, and not having a hangover from the night before is a definite advantage!
But what do I know? My driving's so poor James won't let me drive any of the robots in competition! :(
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Nice to see how we can go so far off topic in only a few posts :P

Anyway, I reckon one of the keys to successful driving is keeping cool. I'm of far too nervous a disposition, and always panic and flap when in a fight. This usually leads to me driving off the edge, or making a really stupid mistake (ie. Driving into DBA's spinner, what was I thinking!).

I'd agree practise does play a part, but also I reckon some of it is down to natural talent for driving robots. I think Andrew Hibbard showed us this, by showing up to AWS 14 (his first major event, correct me if I'm wrong), and showed all the experienced roboteers how it's done.
olivers

Post by olivers »

"A question to Oliver (and those who can answer this one) How do you become a good driver? And how do you other see that Oliver is a good driver (and lucky!)?"

"Oliver's had lots of practice, but he was a good driver beforehand as well."

Who's this other Oliver then?

I was lucky at AWS17 and Odyssey didn't fo over a few times and the speed modded servo's help a lot. I don't practice driving between events, only setting up ants and verifying they work. I know some people practice driving but thats not for me. One thing I found is that by keeping the same ant you become used to it, building new ants each year means you have to learn to drive them individually which is tricky.
Remote-Controlled Dave

One thing I found is that by keeping the same ant you become used to it, building new ants each year means you have to learn to drive them individually which is tricky.
Dammit, now he tells me! :P
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39