Reading Robot Club 7: Saturday 10th September 2005

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

I think so, make them happy and send them some money.

If you're serious, then tell me which photo you're interested in, and I'll upload a higher quality image.

Simon
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Just looking at the pictures can tell which robot belongs to which person. as I can see which one (and whithout seeing their names) belongs to Pete, Simon and Scott as they are good looking ants, and then we have Dave with his tin can amour and lumps of sticky dough on the wheels that he thinks might him better grip (never got a grip on reality though (no offence!)) :P
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Actually Joacim, the blue tack did help a lot, and, over the course of the day, I beat everyone but Scott in some kind of fight. Don't count me out just because they're not professional looking!
Some people have a habit of sending out negative vibes at the moment. I dont turn up to win, I turn up to have a good time at something I'm passionate about. Just because I dont have the resources or skills to make something that "looks professional", I shouldn't get grief for it all the soddin' time. The more people who turn up to an event, the better the event is, and it should be open to anyone who can make something within the rules, not just people who expect to win with their fancy technology. Everyone's welcome right?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Yeah, but professional looking ants would be nice to have. I'm not saying they're not effective, but I'm just a gutted when I spend time and money on ants, and they end up looking a bit crappy. I'll have a good looking ant one day!
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

sorry but do u think that flipt looks profesional then? what does it matter what a robot looks like Panic Attack looked abit crappy but blow me it won RWs2

it also comes from experience Anto3 looked crap but having spent 10 hours milling once she's completed she'll look better than she ever did before doesnt mean she'll be any good
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Craig_Anto3 wrote:sorry but do u think that flipt looks profesional then?
I didnt say that.

Well, the outside is nothing as long as it can win some fights, but as Rhys typed, it feels good to have a good looking robot. But as I always notice on my ants, is nothing in other peoples eyes.

My point with Daves ants is that I just reconize the sticky dough on the wheels :P, didnt mean to be nasty at you Dave, sorry.
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I like to think that if an ant looks good then it proberly is, although however much i try i always have holes in them and tape making a mess of the inside.
TEAM GEEK!
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Same here, I always end up with bundles of tape and glue. The objective for AWS18 is to have no glue of tape, and try and build my ants all with bolts and bends, but that'll never happen.
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Perhaps the photos don't do them justice, I think Dave's Ants look great. Especially Impending Doom On You http://images2.fotopic.net/?iid=ybwy96& ... noresize=1
paul

Post by paul »

Andrew_Hibberd wrote:I like to think that if an ant looks good then it proberly is, although however much i try i always have holes in them and tape making a mess of the inside.
thats why you dont use clear armour.... lol

after veiwing some of the ants, some of which were originated at the same time as mine, iv seen that theirs looks better. im gutted to say the least but ya know they may have better machinary or whatever. but thats not the point, they may look well made but it doesnt mean they are good neserseraly, i have seen some patheric looking weapons on ants that look well made and good weapons on some not so well made and some that simply look bad... (note im not naming names so... it isnt your ant, whoever's reading this) ok to be honest mine are fairly rubbish all round and i cant drive them atal now, after lack of practise. but, yer its now how the robot looks sometimes its not the weapon alot of the time its the driver.

ah well, was it a good event despit that?