Roaming Robots Event Aylesbury 22nd May

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I have just got the remining parts for anticipation as well as a tx and rx crystal for futaba on 40.695Mhz. As well as the 40.665 one i already own.
TEAM GEEK!
snow-shifters

Post by snow-shifters »

snow-shifter is created by dudley laver.
snow-shifters
Behemoth_Ant

Post by Behemoth_Ant »

Hiya ant here, just thought i would say hi and see you at the event. Mike (my brother) will be running VX and i will be using AntyB which has not run for ages, buried in my room in its case! Best get it out and charge the batteries :D

Ant
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

OK then, some questions, to make the day run smoother...

1. Style of competition...
a)knockout
b)double-knockout
c)four leagues of five followed by semis?
My suggestion would be to stretch it out with a league.

2. Timings. the event runs from 11:00 -3:00. In my experience, the spinner combat will take 1 hour - 90 minutes, so we'll have an extra couple of hours to fill. Shall we do non-spinner combat until 1:30?

3. Legalities - have we all joined Roaming Robots?

4. Crystals. Do we all have crystals (or access to crystals) in the antweight range 665, 675, 685, 695, 705? and can we change crystals fairly quickly? I think there will be a lot of crystal swapping at this event with 20 robots and five frequencies.
marksie

Post by marksie »

Will try and be there, do any of you have directions or is it fairly easy to find?
Won't be competing but will be watching and sneaking around for ideas!!!! :wink:
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

It's in the Market Square in Aylesbury, head to Aylesbury then towards the centre of town. It will be quite hard to miss!

Here's a map: Multimap

PeterW, where's the best place to park? Given that we will be arriving early Sunday morning, I don't expect finding a space will be too difficult!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Hi,

Can I have some yesses or nos to my comments please. Mr Stu wants to know what we're going to do.

And I had a reply from an attendee saying "i can tell you that my robot has a frequency of 40 but its a mini remote control car piggy backed and for some reason proper controllers dont seem to be able to control it"

Do you think this will interfere with other robots?

Simon
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Simon, it's a question for Roaming Robots frequency control. They have allocated some frequencies to us, but I assume only on the assumption that we use "standard" channelised R/C gear.
"Toy" R/C cars are unlikely to respond to a standard Tx as they probably use AM and a much simpler signalling scheme (they are not "digital proportional").
Of far more concern is the exact frequency that the transmitter works on, its stability and bandwidth. It could easily interfere with any or all of our frequencies and/or the other freqs being used by the feathers.

To your previous questions:
1. Four leagues of 5 then semi finals and a final makes 43 fights. Alternatively, top 2 from each league go into quarter finals (winner of league A plays runner-up of league B etc), giving 47 fights, plus maybe a couple of play-offs to decide second place in a league.
I'd guess that would take maybe 2 hours. Sounds OK to me.

2. How many spinners do we have? (Apart from Pete's of course!) Personally I think your Speedway is an excellent event with enough excitement to keep people watching. Perhaps we could interleave speedway and non-spinner battles in some way?

3. Sent off the cheque, heard nothing so far...

4. We have 40.665 (Hitec), 2 Rx and 1 Tx. We can change xtals in less than a minute on any robot. 3rd Rx xtal is on order...
My freq pegs will be in our box of stuff if they can be of any use.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

1. I'd go for leagues, but i'm not really bothered either way.

2. Again, not too bothered as long as full spinner combat is last. Something like a non-spinner super-league would be cool though, where everyone fights everyone, just to fill the time. Lots of fights that actually count for something.

3. They've cashed my cheque, so I guess so.

4. I have 705, and may get a another set before the event.

And about the toy RC thing, not meaning to be harsh here, but I don't think that should be allowed, unless there is a specific frequency that we know it's on. And as Gary says, there's a possibilty that it could interfere with every robot at the event. Not only will that be a pain, but it could potentially ruin the event, or even cause injuries.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I think the speedway plus a non spinner league then finish up with spinner knockout.
The easiest carpark to find is the multi storey by the station as you can follow signs for the station. Thats the other side of Safeways (now Morrisons ) from where Craig had the two world series events. Most carparks are free on sundays.