Roaming Robots Event Aylesbury 22nd May

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

They are having antweights at this event which is open to the public in the Market Square. This could be a chance to get a bit of publicity so who is up for this one.
petec

Post by petec »

What is RR attitude to ants? (can't believe I *still* haven't been to an RR event!!) I'd be interested I think.
Cavecrusher

Post by Cavecrusher »

i've won one :grin: :grin:, now current European Champion

but that was the GRA event in Liverpool, held by the RR.
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I won one in preston, RR thend to leave ants floundering while they run the larger robots. If we did get enough ants, then we could try and persuade them to give us some frequencies we could use and run our own event to one side. If my ants are working then i will be able to go.
TEAM GEEK!
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

The way I see it, there are only 2 ways a RR event with ants can work;

The first is that the ants are completely detached from the rest of the show, and we have our own frequencies that no-one else is using, and our own TX control for those frequencies, etc etc.

The other way is to completely integrate the antweight battles with the heavier robots, so that antweight battles can be had while heavys/feathers are being prepared and unloaded/loaded into the main arena, so the crowd will always have something to watch.

The second option is preferable, as it's better for the crowd, better for us, and means that most of the crowd will almost definatly see antweight battles in the course of the show, whereas in the first option they might not even notice us. The downfall is of course that the 2nd option requires a lot more planning and cooperation between the heavy/feather roboteers, the antweight roboteers, and TX control.

Back on topic - I'll hopefully be able to make it, but I'll give you a definate answer in the next couple of weeks.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

Well a couple of things to say:
1. This is a featherweight and antweight play day, with only heavyweight display's.

So this means that there are less frequencies in use.

2. This is the one you are not going to like, Featherweights will take priority as to the crowd they are more intresting (lost of noise etc.). Roaming robots have already given two frequencies that only antweights can use so perhaps people buying new crystals might like to buy one of those two frequencies, these frequencies can be found here:
http://www.extremefightingmachines.co.u ... 1082449787

3. The only way people like roaming robots can take ants seriously is if people start attending their events more often and in greater numbers. There's not much point helping start a competition for 3-4antweights is there?

4. Dont forget if you want to take part you must join roaming robots. You can do that here:
http://www.roamingrobots.co.uk/join_step1.htm
I hope this info is of some use to you, also I must just say that I have no connection to roaming robots other than I am a member of their organisation.

Regards
Ian

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raizor on 2005-01-05 18:55 ]</font>
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Why don't we mix both of scotts ideas, have our own tech control for the four frequencies, and run ants between feather/heavy fights. Although we are limited to the number of frequencies. If ants have been designed so the rx crystal can be replaced, then i am sure that most people would swap. This would also stop the main tx control moaning about someone else has your frequency.

Thoughts?
TEAM GEEK!
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Hi, Is anyone in contact with Roaming robots about this, to see if they could allocate four frequencies to us on the day?

Simon
mrstu

Post by mrstu »

Hiya,

Mr Stu from Roaming Robots here (Also Teamkat/Pussycat/FeatherWeights.org)

Hmmm, Jonno (Director of Roaming Robots) and I speak about ant weights quite alot in terms of ways to try and get them involved at our shows, big and small. And some of you above have displayed problems and possbile ways of over coming these problems.

Like i said, Jonno and I have been thinking how to intergrate ant weights to our shows without causing all weight classes agro. Yes ant weights use EXTRA frequencys as your in a different arena to the Heavy Weights/ Feather Weights. It's not the ant weights or feather weights or heavy weights problem - it's having "2" arenas on the go which is the problem.

So maybe we do need to get together, talk to us and we will talk back to try and sort something out. Some time ago Jonno spoke of maybe giving Ant Weights frec's for Ant Weights only. But like someone stated above, we havn't spoken about it much more or looked more into ant weights as we only have about 3 sign up to an event, and we can't run a competition with only 3 or 5 ant weights.

This shoudln't be too much of a problem. Yes sadly im sure Feather Weights will get first dibs on TX control as it's in the big arena where more crowd will see, louder sounds etc and more action as it were (even though we know an ant weight can take another ant to peaces in 3 seconds). But im sure we can work around it.

Come to the event, speak to Jonno and I and im sure we can sort something out for future events. We had Ant Weights at our Winter Tour final at Doncaster- and the crowd loved it. Yes a few problems with TX took place, but all this is cureable. We just need to work together and talk to each other to solve it.

Kind Regards,
Mr Stu
www.roamingrobots.co.uk
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Hi Mr Stu

I'm fairly sure that we can muster at least ten antweights to attend this event.

If you can offer us four frequencies (out of 32 possibles unless my calculation are out) and space for an arena then we can make *this* event a success for antweights, rather than wait for the next one. We can take care of supplying the crystals, and frequency control. We've done it before.

I have run five antweight events in nearby Reading with 13, 24, 21, 18 and 18 robots attending respectively. Other stalwart antweight roboteers including Mr Waller, Collier, Hibberd and Fyfe-Jamieson have expressed an interest.

So at the very least, give us a commitment of four frequencies until April 18th and we'll get you at least 10 antweights, possibly more.

I for one am really looking forward to it. My first event was a Featherweight Smash and we enjoyed watching the featherweights as well as competing as antweights.

All the best - Simon Windisch