AWS 48, Basingstoke, 21st November 2015

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

razerdave

Re: AWS 48, Basingstoke, 21st November 2015

Post by razerdave »

I'm pretty much in agreement with Dave on that quoted bit above.
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

i'm sorry you are no longer enjoying it Dave and we will miss you and Gemma a lot. i hope you find more enjoyment in heavyweights but remember you'll always have friends here in the ant community. i hope to put on a good AWS on saturday so you can leave antweights with happy memories of your last event and maybe some day return. :)
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

TBH, I also agree with Dave L to an extent. AWSs have become one of the most formal and competitive events in UK robot combat aside perhaps the featherweight championships. I feel this is largely due to the steadily increased popularity requiring events to be run at an ever more professional level. I mean don't get me wrong, we've got churning through fights down to a tee; we can get through 100+ robots with double elimination fights in ~5-6 hours, where as the beetle champs have had to resort to 4 way melees to get through a 32 robot tournament in the same time span, and this is great because it mean everyone gets a fair go... However it does mean you loose a bit of the relaxed atmosphere, and the pressure of having a strict schedule starts to make what should be a far from serious sport of fighting tiny robots become suddenly a whole lot more daunting.

Although I do agree to some extent that my kits are upping the bar of the tech level, I'm not sure that's the real problem. I do featherweight and heavyweight events with robots cobbled together from scrap; I don't expect for a second that I'd win, but still have an absolute blast doing it. The tech of the highest level robots is always going to be out of the reach of most people, it's true for every weight class. That's why they're the highest level robots; it's largely an engineering sport after all.

The problem I think is that due to the increasingly formal atmosphere of the events, there's less fun to be had with thrown together bots. Unfortunately I think as more people join, it's only going to have to get increasingly more formal to get through all the fights in a day. The small events are much more the classic laid back events with time to relax and have fun, however as Dave's said before, he can't make these. As an engineering student, I personally have no problem with this as I can usually get robots in to the top 16 relatively well, and have great fun doing so. It just means these big events are less fun for more casual roboteers than they perhaps used to be.

I kind of agree that some of the heavier weight classes are now more your style Dave.. I'm also kind of looking forward to fighting Nuts against whatever crazy machine you come up with :P
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I dont want to take away this topic from its purpose, which is the AWS, which I am still coming to and hope to thoroughly enjoy.

However, I've had so much bad luck recently. Blown speedos, dead batteries, mysterious gremlins in previously-working machines...basically I've had to hastily rebuild my team today and there's still one to be built tomorrow. They are all thoroughly awful. I wish I could use this as an opportunity to prove that low quality robots can progress through the brackets, but I think we'll both be out very early. No matter, means I can relax and chat to you all instead.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Remote-Controlled Dave wrote: However, I've had so much bad luck recently. Blown speedos, dead batteries, mysterious gremlins in previously-working machines...basically I've had to hastily rebuild my team today and there's still one to be built tomorrow.
And you wonder why people run my kits these days.. :roll: I kid :L Looking forward to seeing everyone this Saturday :)
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

this event will feature a few new awards...

.best junior roboteer.
.best clusterbot.
.best walker.
.best robot name.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Remote-Controlled Dave

No Rory, I totally agree. I realised a few tournaments back that the only way I could carry on would be to purchase a vast amount of your boards. But I bought heavy parts instead :P
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Looks like a good turn out something like 20 teams so should be a good event.
Mind you only 11 teams have signed up for Antlog and only 6 off them have signed up for AWS48.
Remote-Controlled Dave

No Andrew Hibbard?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

haz wrote:Booked my time off so unless something major happens I'm coming to this. Now I just have to make a robot.
Harry, you still coming?