AWS 47 - Stoke Sub Hampton - July 4th 2015

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

razerdave

Re: AWS 47 - Stoke Sub Hampton - July 4th 2015

Post by razerdave »

With regards to the cluster rule the lesser part being no less than half the weight of the bigger bit, I would agree. Although I think that may rule out We need more Penguins, which is a shame.
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

razerdave wrote:With regards to the cluster rule the lesser part being no less than half the weight of the bigger bit, I would agree. Although I think that may rule out We need more Penguins, which is a shame.
I would say I like the rule but nanos are becoming much more of a threat to ants and it would feel like banning some (potential) robots because some use the rule in an abusive way. I'd much rather prefer to see 3+walker than a cluster component limit.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Yeah, I was pretty cheap on the cluster front this time round as Skutter was more dead than I thought... hoping to resurrect it next time. And Alex, you'd still be allowed clusters, it just wouldn't count as a 4th team member.

Also, in regards to the 2 min time limit, I only didn't run it as we had plenty of time at the event and I wasn't sure if it had been fully agreed on or not. For future events I'd suggest implementing it.
Last edited by Rapidrory on Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Yes, the walker rule wouldn't prevent Penguins running (or Warhorses or Good and Evil or Lemmings), it would just have to be inclusive in the three if the owner chose it.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

If the rule changes then I won't bother with the new Good and Evil because there would be no point. A cluster, in my mind, is never going to be as good as any of mine on their own, so I wouldn't sacrifice one for G&E.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Would you build a walker instead Dave?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

No.
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

if the entry rule was to be changed to 3 rollers plus 1 walker i would convert transit ant into a walker. if the cluster component rule was to be changed i would remove my nano from the cluster and make the other small part heavier so don't worry too much about my cluster. i'd be fine so whatever you decide i'll go with chaps :)

as far as the removable power link thing goes, all my robots can be shut down within a few seconds. some have switches, others have accessable power links. with transit ant, my nano, naughty penguin, crayoler crayons and no scope, it's just a case of flicking the lid up, connecting/disconnecting the link and then putting the back down again. takes about ten seconds to do and is the easiest thing in the world to do provided you have duck tape as that means you don't have to fiddle around undoing bolts.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Is it just me or are people becoming more intolerant.
There seems to be more and more posts aimed at banning certain types of robot small toys, ducted fans and now clusters of dissimilar size.
Just because we don't like something if feel it is not within the spirit of the rules doesn't mean other people do.
I could argue that ducted fans can be beaten or that alsoran has on several occasions influenced the outcome of a fight but I just think unless there is some great compelling reason why a particular robot configuration completely dominates the whole AWS scene we should stop all these witch hunts (perhaps a little strong :wink: ) and just start enjoying the wide range of approaches and views people have.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

For the record, I didn't say to ban clusters of disproportionate sizes, I was just given the options and said that's my preference. I would prefer they were not restricted at all, although the tiny little squeaky thing Rory had was annoying :P.