The dreaded "draw"

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

Re: The dreaded "draw"

Post by BeligerAnt »

AntLog 2 is inherently open source and anyone's welcome to "improve" it or otherwise adapt it for their own needs. I would reserve the right not to merge changes back into the "official" AntLog - I'm not keen on having to single-handedly maintin other people's code.

That said, the OpenOffice macro/scripting API is truly horrible so I wouldn't expect anyone to rush to add to AntLog! :)

AntLog 3 would be written in PHP with a mySQL database to hold all the fight, team and robot data for the competition (or possibly several competitions).
There would be a "front end" for competitors to track their (and others') progress, and a "back end" for the event organiser to enter data and run the competition.
Adding a feature to the software to write current fight data to a text file(s) should not be a big deal. Alternatively the streaming software could query the database directly? This would be my preferred solution as it would not affect AntLog itself.

Sadly, I can't see AntLog seeing the light of day in the foreseeable future. It's one thing having some idea of how it might work, quite another finding the time and inclination to fully develop a fairly significant application.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

I've never touched the macro or scripting part of OpenOffice, but hopefully I can find a way to bodge in what I want to do :P.

Unfortunately the stream software I use doesn't have any functionality which would could query a database. Outside of essential features it's fairly simple, but it's also open source, free, and reliable, which is why I use it. You can display text from a text file on the stream, which is why that's the only method of getting the robot names from the software to the stream. That said though, if it's not something you wanted to include in the core of AntLog 3, it would probably be possible to make something simple externally that would query the database and then write the relevant text files.

I'll investigate my options and decide what to do.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

on the subject of robots being drawn against each other, i usually hold a competition between my robots to see which one gets the furthest in the competition so two of them facing each other directly in combat occasionally wouldn't bother me as it would just prove that one of my robots was better and therefore deserved to progresd more than the other. however, if i was being repeatedly drawn against myself or if i was twice in one round EG: hogi vs thunder strike and then ant 2D2 vs language timmothy cluster, that would be significantly damaging to my chances of success as a team. i do apreciate though that it is a tournament between robots and not between teams so i think it's swings and roundabouts whichever way you do it. my suggested solution is to separate robots of the same team in the group stages but randomize the later stages. i know this has already been suggested and i think it would be good because you get a chance to see how all your robots fare against other people's robots and only the very competitive teams ( not me then...) would progress to the stages of the completely random draw and anyone good enough to get two or more robots into the play off stages will probably stand a good chance whether they get drawn against themself or not.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)