How to run a better AWS?

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

How to run a better AWS?

Post by BeligerAnt »

From the discussions following AWS40 it seems we can improve on how we run the AWS. This is no criticism of Will and his team, but an acknowledgement that there is always room for improvement.

So what have we learned?
1. It's not very broke, so don't over-fix it! It was only a bit over time so let's not go too mad.
2. The pits need to be close to the arena.
3. We need to improve the visibility of upcoming fights so that people are ready and fight changes are faster.

The biggest challenge and the biggest effect is improving the visibility of what's happening. Who's in, who's out, which round/group we are in etc etc.

AntLog was designed as a logging tool, not really an event management system. It handles its designed task well, but one consequence of its design is that upcoming fights are not always visible. Simply projecting it on a big screen won't improve things very much.

So what do we need from an event management system? I would suggest the following requirements (I'm sure I've missed a few):
1. Must be stand-alone and not rely on an internet connection
2. Must handle up to 128 entrants
3. Must handle multiple groups or some other method of keeping robots from the same team apart as long as possible
4. Must provide visibility of upcoming fights, even when these are in different groups
5. Should be free so that any number of people can download/install/use it
6. Should not rely on other paid applications (e.g. Microsoft Office)
7. Should work on multiple platforms, Windows, Linux, MacOS

I have looked around and failed to find anything that comes even close to meeting these criteria. If anyone knows of or can find anything suitable it would be great!

The other option is to come up with something of our own. I am happy to contribute but would really appreciate some help if anyone is willing/able. Discuss...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
joey_picus

Re: How to run a better AWS?

Post by joey_picus »

Would it be a non-trivial task to write a sheet for OO(.o) that could be used to display the next few fights from the event's AntLog? That might be a cheap and cheerful way of alleviating some of the problems, and it would benefit massively from not requiring an internet connection (which for some venues is far from guaranteed - the web-based script does look good but it won't work in a scout hut unless someone had mobile internet...)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Oh, I seem to have opened a can of worms...

I'll lock this thread and split it into two, one for running events, the other for Stuart's software.
Please bear with me while I do this. When I've finished I will unlock the thread. Please keep any comments until the threads are set up, if it all looks a bit weird it's probably because I'm still sorting it out...

Edit: Threads split, hopefully it still makes sense :)
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Joey wrote:Would it be a non-trivial task to write a sheet for OO(.o) that could be used to display the next few fights from the event's AntLog? That might be a cheap and cheerful way of alleviating some of the problems, and it would benefit massively from not requiring an internet connection (which for some venues is far from guaranteed - the web-based script does look good but it won't work in a scout hut unless someone had mobile internet...)
I think you might have hit on something Joey! I was thinking that AntLog couldn't give the visibility of up-coming fights. However, not that I've thought about it a little more I can see that all the information is there and it should be easy to make a form showing the next 4 or 5 fights so that they can all be called and any one can be run.

This allows the slightly out of order running that we depend on and visibility of upcoming fights. It also has the advantage of using the well-proven underlying logic of AntLog.

Hopefully I'll get some time to play with it over the weekend and report back...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
StuartL

Post by StuartL »

BeligerAnt wrote:I think you might have hit on something Joey! I was thinking that AntLog couldn't give the visibility of up-coming fights. However, not that I've thought about it a little more I can see that all the information is there and it should be easy to make a form showing the next 4 or 5 fights so that they can all be called and any one can be run.
Is there any way of getting OpenOffice Calc to open two windows, one with the next fights and the other for the judges/administrators? That way the fight schedule can be put on a separate screen/laptop/projector and avoid needing names called out.
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I've just had a play with Calc and you can get one window to show two parts of the same document at once, which should be enough at the size of projector screen we seem to use - you can have the 'Next 5 fights' thing in one half of the window and the actual administration in the other half.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The problem with AntLog is that it uses a separate sheet for each group. This makes sense but also means that you lose visibility of coming fights as you move between groups.

I'm playing with using a dialog box to enter the results, with the dialog showing the 4 or 5 next fights regardless of which groups they are from. It's looking good so far, now that I'm slowly remembering the arcane knowledge of the mysteries of OO.o basic...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

To me,this sounds like a great idea,in principal.
It would make life alot easier for newcomers,who dont want to be a PITA ,to be able to see when,and who they are fighting,without feeling they have to interrupt the officials,and if for no rther reason than time is getting tight these days.Whether it be on a projected screen,or a central laptop screen in the pits.IMHO,it is a step in the right direction,as it seems to be a bit more transparent than the current method.( Basically,I dont have much of a clue as to what goes on,until someone says(usually Dave(thanks Dave.)) Jim,your'e up!!!!)
(P.S. Man,thats too many brackets for one post!)
Yours sincerely,Jim. ( :) )
petec

Post by petec »

While this is all good stuff, and I'm happy to host stuff on RW101.org if it helps, let's not forget that people actually need to be paying attention and know they are up. How many times at 40 were people called four or five times - and by the time they get there, we've moved on and it's too late?!

I wonder if we should have an elected member who has the role of calling people up. Also a known order to move through the draw so people have a better rough idea when they may be on?
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

You're right, Pete, people do need to pay attention! We also need a soultion that doesn't depend on an internet connection, otherwise we will dramatically cut the number of suitable venues.
However, it has been a bit difficult to track which group/round/stream is being processed at larger events.
The new AntLog 2 (see this thread) should improve on this by showing the group/round of each fight and the three upcoming fights. It also moves logically through the groups and rounds, although it can jump around if necessary if one fight is delayed.
The interface is also projector-friendly for when we have such facilities.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt