AWS 41 Discussion

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

AWS 41 Discussion

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I guess the first question is...any volunteers??
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
BeligerAnt

Re: AWS 41

Post by BeligerAnt »

I don't have time to organise an AWS this year, and with James in Cardiff I have lost my right hand man to help with the madness of the week before the event.
However, I'm happy to approach Ian Watts about using Brighton Uni if someone else is willing to do all the organisation. I'd be happy to help out on the day, but I don't have time to do all the pre and post event running about.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Remote-Controlled Dave

What a coincidence, I was going to say I'm happy to help out running it if someone can get a venue in England for us to play in. How about a sort of "collaborative effort"? I'm happy to do a lot of the actual running legwork on the day (shouting, commentary, organising, prizes etc) if someone else can maybe sort out software/arena(s)/streaming/stuff and Gary can get us Brighton uni again?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Assuming there's a reasonable internet connection at the venue that I'm allowed access to, I'm more than happy to run a stream. Also, we still have our arena, but I can't think of any easy way for us to get it down to Brighton without hiring a van for the day or something, which isn't ideal.

As a side note, while Will, Andy and I have been told that we've set a high bar with our rampant use of technology, I would never want to discourage people from running an event because they thought that they couldn't provide the same fanciness that we had. Part of the joy of the antweight community is that we're a fairly easy-going group, and we do this purely for our own pleasure, not for that of spectators, and the fact that we can turn up anywhere we want with enough space for a battle to the death personifies that. I wouldn't want to lose that and make people think that we absolutely had to be in a venue with seating and a large projector screen and all the other technological gubbins we've had recently.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
StuartL

Post by StuartL »

Assuming that the date works for me I can provide transport for the arena and bring a couple of projectors, trailing leads, etc. I don't have projector screens.

I am assuming that the arena will fit in a large estate...
Remote-Controlled Dave

Happy to do a classic pen and paper draw if there is time :wink:
Just need to make sure I can get a suitable date off work so the sooner we sort that the better really. Is there a ballpark for suitable dates? I'd have to look into that ASAP. No point saying i can run then can't attend due to dates.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Remote-Controlled Dave

Having thought about this a bit better, I'm not sure its a good idea for me to do it. I'd like to, but because me and Gemma have to fly in, and anything can happen with a plane delay/cancel, there's always a chance we wouldn't make it. We only very narrowly made the last one! So I'd be happy to help out on the day, even take over the running from someone else if we do make it, but for me to be the keystone is perhaps a little foolish. Would hate a cancelled flight to bring about a cancelled AWS.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

So, first AWS in Northern Ireland then Dave? :P
Remote-Controlled Dave

Happy to do one over here in Gemma's barn for the 4 of us who'd turn up! :-P
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I'd go if I was on that side of the pond, never been to Norn Iron before :)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"