new tournament management software

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

mTubes

new tournament management software

Post by mTubes »

First of all, hello! This is my first post on the forum, so I guess I should do the whole introduction thing - my name's Mark, I'm an AI & Cyb student at Reading Uni, and consequently for the last year and a half, Will Thomas has been trying to persuade me into getting involved with antweights :P .

Anyway, a few days ago, I was talking to Will about the AWS 37, and he mentioned the difficulty involved in splitting the entries list into groups for AntLog. One thing led to another, and I volunteered to make a little script that would parse a text file of robots and drivers, and split them into groups. Unfortunately, I don't know when to stop, and as such I've made a program that also displays the tournament trees, and lets you enter the results of each fight, and generally tracks the competition.

You're welcome to download the program and play around with it, but be warned that it might be buggy. I'm not going to be held responsible if my program reformats your hard-drive/posts naked pictures of you to the internet/sends threatening emails to your boss, etc. While it definately shouldn't do any of these things, what I'm saying is use it at your own risk - I've only been working on it a few days, and there's probably bugs I don't know about.

With that in mind, I encourage you not to use this for any events. AntLog is far far more reliable, and if you're used to using it, it no doubt does a better job than my program. That being said, provided I can get a fully-working and stable version done in the next week, I might try and persuade Will to try it out for the AWS, but I'm far more concerned that it works first, because I don't want to responsible for the ensuing anarchy if it breaks. It's also currently lacking some significant features - most importantly, it currently only displays/runs tournament trees for the groups stage, and not for the final stage. That's next on the list though, I assure you :lol: .

After all that, if you still want to try it out, there's a download below. If you don't already have it, you'll need to install python - version 3.1 or higher. The source code is all included as well, so if you want to take a look or play around with it, you're welcome to do so. Be warned however - my code is bad and ugly, and there are no comments. I'll fix this later, I promise. You're welcome to do pretty much whatever you like with the code really.

If you find any bugs, or have any feature suggestions, please let me know. I'm eager to make this work, and if it seems there's enough interest from people to make it worthwhile, I'll happily keep improving and maintaining this software. Lastly, I thought I'd add a quick screenshot to show what it's meant to look like (if it doesn't, please let me know - that probably means it's broken).
example screenshot
example screenshot
preview.png (105.21 KiB) Viewed 8599 times
edit: new version uploaded
Attachments
draw - v002.zip
Group Generator for AntLog - v002
(11.56 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
v3.2.zip
version 3.2
(14.53 KiB) Downloaded 437 times
Last edited by mTubes on Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mark Pattle
Antlog-clicker at AWS 40 & 43
teamocean

Re: new tournament management software

Post by teamocean »

Hi Mark,

Good to see you made it onto the forum- I've been having a play around with the version you gave me this afternoon and it seems pretty good to me and definately worth giving it a go at the AWS.
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Does it do double elimination as that is how we run our AWS events.
mTubes

Post by mTubes »

Yes, I does do double elimination - I know it's not very clear from the screenshot, but the loser's bracket fights are the ones in darker blue.
Mark Pattle
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Its good to see Reading students looking into combat robotics, I have been speaking to Miles about some of the new robotic club members wanting to come along to the AWS not sure if you know that Will?

I will download python and have a quick play when I get some time. Looking forward to this event :)
TEAM GEEK!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I just get a load of files I can't open when I unzip it, though I reckon that's more to do with my computer than the system.
From what Will's told me, it works very well.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Just had a quick play found a few small things.

Its not the most straight forward thing to load but its fairly obvious. It looks good too, although not sure how the groups will join together later.

I am not to familiar with the robot names but it does seem to do a good job of mixing up the roboteers from the groups which should avoid people fighting themselves in the first round. The issue is that you can end up with repeat fights. It would be good if there was 4 groups to swap the loosers of group A with B and C with D to avoid people fighting the same robot up to 3 times in a row. Although this can end up with roboteers fighting themselves, something to think about.

When the GUI is closed then the roboteer list loaded again it doesn't seem to load correctly showing only the first entry.

It seems that it is limited to the group stages only, I guess this is just not finished yet.

Looking good overall, it will be interesting to test along side antlog to see if they give similar results.
TEAM GEEK!
mTubes

Post by mTubes »

Great, thanks for all the feeedback, I'm hoping that this evening I'll have a new version sorted - currently it should fix a few of the problems you've found.
It seems that it is limited to the group stages only, I guess this is just not finished yet.
I've been working on that today. Hopefully this evening I'll update the original post with download for a version that deals with this. Currently, it creates a new display for the final group, rather than scrolling further to the right. I can try and change this though, if that's not ideal.
When the GUI is closed then the roboteer list loaded again it doesn't seem to load correctly showing only the first entry.
I didn't realise it did this, thanks - I think it's caused by leaving the drop-down list in the top right empty - I'll change this to make it clearer what the box is for, and have it default to useful value instead of breaking.
The issue is that you can end up with repeat fights. It would be good if there was 4 groups to swap the loosers of group A with B and C with D to avoid people fighting the same robot up to 3 times in a row. Although this can end up with roboteers fighting themselves, something to think about.
I'm currently working to fix this, but it might be a couple more days before I can get a good solution.
I just get a load of files I can't open when I unzip it, though I reckon that's more to do with my computer than the system.
It might well still be my code... can you tell me what Operating System and version of Python you're running please?

Lastly, here's a quick summary of other new features I'm working on/planning to add:
  • Saving/Loading of tournaments
    Better randomization of groups
    Automatic generation/saving of logs (order & result of fights, etc.)
    Quick summary of results - winners/runner-ups of each group and final results
as I said before, if anyone's got any suggestions, please let me know.
Mark Pattle
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I like the idea of the groups being mixed up a bit after the first stage so that you don't end up fighting the same robot over and over. As someone who had to fight Hib about 5 times towards the end of the last AWS, I would welcome this change! :P
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I was thinking about an algorithm earlier to randomise the robots so that you don't fight yourself or a robot you have already been against, unless so many robots have been eliminated you have to fight someone again.

The only issue I could see was that you would have no idea who you would be fighting until the random descision was made, may be hard to follow on the day but could be an interesting twist not knowing who you will be up against.

Personally I would rather fight against lots of different robots rather than having an unlucky/ lucky route through the comp.
TEAM GEEK!