Mad Metal Machines 12

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: Mad Metal Machines 12

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Excellent report as usual Maddox, thank you.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

We had a great time, the eight hour journey actually wasn't too bad.

One note though, when the Germans say 12 o'clock start they mean that the fights start at 12 o'clock sharp, luckily our robots were ready to go because we were fighting within 90 seconds of arrival at the venue.

Dynamite came second in the big ant event on the Saturday, losing to DBA. Dynamite 2011 R3 will hopefully be ready for AWS36 and it's looking like a possible champion, I just need to keep improving my driving, the surface steering means that it has an incredible turn of speed, while still being very agile.

On Sunday we had mid table obscurity in the random tag team event and Nathan won robot roulette, so we had a pretty good event.

The hotel was very comfortable and quiet, but it was a little too far out of town: it would have been nice to have had a wander through Bochum, as it was we only saw the hockey hall and a nearby KFC.

There were some great drivers, the German robots are not quite as sophisticated as what Peter Waller, Jim and Andrew Hibberd can turn out but I think we've got some of them thinking... Driving on a polycarbonate arena is a little different to painted wood - on this note, the engineering of their arenas is outstanding, the antweight arena is fully automatic with timing, light and sound systems, it has an automated floor spike and folds down flat in about 20 minutes, incredible! and the featherweight arena is similarly impressive.

Dave Lawrie has a near doppleganger, with gaffa tape robots with long names. There are not as many young roboteers like in the UK, mostly they are in their 20s I'd say.

There is a possibility that they might offer an AWS in Bochum, Dirk will talk to the GRA about it, and I said that I'd mention it in the UK and see how many were interested. They would dedicate the Sunday of the Bochum MMM event to it and run standard AWS rules, still a work in progress, we don't know if this will happen.

The Saturday was advertised on local radio and they had about 100 members of the public, I spoke to three people who were really interested in starting an antweight...

So we had fun, the roboteers there were very friendly and We're definitely planning on returning net year, AWS or not.
Impact

Post by Impact »

Guys, it was amazing :D

Really enjoyed your appearence, it was a good Event and I´m looking forward to see ya again, hopefully in near future. :P
(Sorry for my bad english)

www.teamrockandrobot.com
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I should have posted here before, very nice event and thanks to the GRA for running it, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Videos from all 3 weight classes can be found on the 14th post down on this page (Posted by Flatliner), you do have to download them and they can take a while, but its worth it.

http://forum.roboteers.org/thread.php?t ... =4863&sid=
shakesc

Post by shakesc »

Sounds good

That antweight arena looks very nice
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left