AWS 35 - Pontefract - 17th July 2011

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

joey_picus

AWS 35 - Pontefract - 17th July 2011

Post by joey_picus »

EDITED: 22 May 2011 - event details added

You are cordially invited, on behalf of Team Picus, to the
35th Antweight World Series Competition
and general celebration of robotic combat in miniature at:

North East Wakefield (N.E.W.) College - note the slightly odd path that must be taken from the M62
Park Lane
Pontefract
West Yorkshire
WF8 4QR

on Sunday the 17th of July, 2011.

Getting there: Pontefract is accessible from Junction 32 of the M62 or from various points signposted on the A1 north of Doncaster. If you take public transport, Pontefract has three railway stations - Pontefract Tanshelf is six to eight minutes' walk (or three minutes' suicidal run) from the venue and therefore more convenient, Baghill and Monkhill - the latter having an irregular London service - both being on the other side of the town centre (about two kilometres away). None of these are on a convenient line though, so it may work out as faster to get a train to Wakefield Westgate, which is, and then a taxicab (about fifteen pounds) to the venue.

Staying there: There is a Premier Inn across Pontefract Park in Glasshoughton which is quite close to the venue and reasonably priced. If it's your sort of thing the Xscape complex across the road has a cinema, rock climbing walls, and an indoor ski slope!

Order of events:
9:00 - Sports hall opens
10:00/"when most people turn up" (whichever is the later) to 11:00 - tech checking, photographs, sign ups
11:00 to 12:00 - Warm up event (non spinner, single elimination), Fleaweight World Series?
12:00 to 13:00 - Lunch, committee meeting
13:00 onwards - Antweight World Series, followed by fun and games and presentations
18:00 - Hall must be vacated

List of entrants: http://robotwars101.org/ants/antweightw ... php?id=120

Additional notes: Being an official World Series, all the rules and regulations relating to the design of robots will be strictly enforced. (There should be plenty of space for driving/fighting on the floor as long as you do it out of the way though ;P). Spectators are most welcome, although if anybody gets two of their own robots drawn against each other they may find a transmitter being shoved into their hands. :)

That should be all I think, parking and et cetera will be detailed in a PM closer to the time. Hopefully it should be a good event, looking forward to it ^_^
originally, Joey wrote:As most of you know the job of hosting AWS35 falls to me (although anybody who wishes to help in any way with arenas, software, general organisation, et cetera is more than welcome to do so :)) and I've identified a couple of venues in or around Pontefract* that can be used - I've never negotiated this sort of thing before but I'm sure something can be arranged with one of them!

The main issue atm is with dates - I have been informed that the first three weeks in July aren't preferable as either Dave Lawrie or Gary/James are likely to be unable to make it, so I was thinking of aiming for the last two weekends in July - does anyone else have any thoughts on that timing? I know it's a fairly long way from where many people are based so I'd ideally like to pick a date that as many people can make as possible.

So, fire away ^_^

*Pontefract, for those unaware, is up in Yorkshire, but it should be easy to get to as it's right off the A1 and M62 and is quite well served by trains from London or to nearby (20 minutes by taxi) Wakefield Westgate from Birmingham, so hopefully most people will be able to make it!
Last edited by joey_picus on Tue May 24, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

I can make Sat 23rd, but not Sat 30th, if that helps...
haz

Post by haz »

i can make it, just let me know in advance (book hotels and things)
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Last 2 weekends in July are a no for me because I'll be in the States
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

as long as harry can make it i can :)
terminaldamage

Post by terminaldamage »

I think it's time I got an antweight event under my belt. Pontefract isn't too far away by our standards so worth a nice little weekend jaunt :)
Just need to start thinking about sorting out a robot; a baby version of Drumroll ought to be the logical choice 8)
Jamie McHarg
RogueTwo Robots
www.rogue-two-robots.vze.com

With great power, comes great reliability.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I can make Sat 23rd, but not Sat 30th, if that helps...
I can do any Saturday in July apart from the 23rd :roll:

But that's the ONLY Saturday I can't make around that time. I'm doing It's a Knockout for charity in Luton on a Wipeout team :o
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Seems to be a bit of a minefield, heh...how would Saturday 16th go down though? I hadn't thought of that because I thought Dave L wasn't available then ;P
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
haz

Post by haz »

good for me i think :D
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Sat 16th is good for me.