March 25th Veldhoven, The Netherlands.

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

maddox

March 25th Veldhoven, The Netherlands.

Post by maddox »

It seems, just like the German event from last weekend, we continentals overlooked this great site.

March 25th, DRG is having the second of it's 2010-2011 Full combat competition events in Veldhoven, at a Sci Fi Convention " SF Terra Terracon 2011"
The DRG is already hosting an international event with Germans and UK participants next to the organising Dutch (and those rare Flemish roboteers still active).

With thanks,

Maddox
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Wow, sounds great. Thanks for posting.
maddox

Post by maddox »

A short report on the Terracon.

Babs and me had booked 2 nights in the very large hotel Koningshof. Not cheap, but assuredly not money trown away. Small cosy room, good-albeit narrow bed.
Arriving friday evening, helping setting up the arena. Some of the other standholders had set up their stuff, and a gazillion books were looking at us, and my wallet started to crinch already.
Rare editions of the classic Sci Fi books, old and new. Comics in all their forms.
Loads of toys, juwels, fantasy attributes and even less toylike large cutlery were visualy pleasing.

Next to the arena and pits, a full scale replica of a Rebel Snowspeederwith pilot and gunner was growing mightely impressive.

And after that, dinner with Shane, Jason, Daren and Daryl.
(I have to admit, the food was good, but a tad on the volume challenged side for me). A few beers later, and it was bedtime.

Saturday started with a breakfast, and a Jason looking a tad worse for the wear (Belgian Abbey beers have a serious kick),and Shane being himself, was a good kickoff.

The last of the standholders unveiling their treasuretroves, we had a quick walkover before the competition started. ?50 later, we went back to the pits with 2 bags filled with books.

Kashei had a promising start, with the battery issues from Germany solved (one of the A123's was damaged by a too long M6 bolt, oepsie). Hannibalito was in good form, the replacement of the Burkert Innards is holding up.
The fights were fun for roboteers and public.

But , then, disaster struck. The axe could only go forward. Retract didn't work. What resulted in a few fights with a PTO ending. (we now know it is an mechanical problem in the electronics. More shockmounts and thicker PCB please)On the robotering side, everything went smooth. Some fights had to switch, due mechanical gladiatorial hickups, but nothing that was a real problem.

The Rebel alliance group-with more storm and/or clonetroopers than rebels, even 1 Imperial Guard- was a real treat to watch. The few others in full dress were varied, from Vulcans to Twilek's (what reminds me, next time I'm going-if there is a next time, I'll be in full mad scientist regalia)

The only dark shadow on this convention, was the fact that the public was absent. Only 10% of what was hoped for came around.
The low advertising, the not central enviroment(a business hotel in the outskirts of a suburb of Eindhoven) and the fairly steep entrance fee (for the Netherlands) could be seen as main reasons. The beautiful weather wasn't a help either.

Photo's can be found here
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Thanks Maddox, shame about the low audience turnout.

Let us know as soon as you can if there is a next time, We'd love to return to Eindhoven.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Yeah ditto, I just couldn't warrent the cost this time around, just moved home, so.

What do you use to retrace Kashei's axe then ? Not a microswitch set up is it ?
maddox

Post by maddox »

@Simon, I had fun writing this up.

Everybody, if it's not up to part in language, let me know via PM, so I can work on my English

@Dave,

Kashei uses a custom MOSFET H-bridge with a pulse of a few tenths of a second to power the axe. With a transmitter triggered override on timing if the needs mandate it.

It's a PCB of about 1.5*1.5" and 1" high in components.
We know a speed 900 on the used voltage (6S A123) can draw over 100 amps.
Ilyama, our Electronics guy (yes, the one from the Scorpion XXL Ilyama style) made this, and it has proven itself over a dozen fights.

I have total confidence that the repair, or probably new PCB will do the job even better.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Ilyama, I thought Rick did your electronics ?
maddox

Post by maddox »

Same guy.