April 23rd - 24th 2011 - FRA UK HW Championships O2 London

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

haz

Post by haz »

i have not had an email yet :-?
is the check in time still 8?
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

9 tomorrow.

When did you register for the event?

You could try emailing Jonno to get your name on O2 security's list?
haz

Post by haz »

i registered on wednesday i think
btw where do we go to get in?
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

At the Starbucks at the entrance at the moment, been here since 8!
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

What a great two days, we watched six robot shows for free, and had a great time.
shakesc

Post by shakesc »

Had a great time on Saturday, being backstage was good fun
Enjoyed having chats with people wandering up to see what the ants were about
:D
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

An excellent weekend.
I had great fun wandering around the pits having a nosy and looking at all the damage done, thor did some impressive work.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

Yeah was great fun. Shame that the general public couldnt see the ant arena sadly. Only VIPs. Oh well.
Great to see you guys and see you at the aws
<-=AWS 10 1st and 2nd champ=->
<-=AWS 13 1st and 2nd champ=->
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

A great event! And Wilhelm's Scream made the top 18! :D
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
maddox

Post by maddox »

A short report.

Arriving Friday mid noon at the wonderous O2 , dragging in all the stuff for 3 Dutch Heavies (Tough As Nails,Gravity 5.1 and Mantis) and 2 Feathers (Iets and Yes) , settling ourselfs and meeting all the people we didn't see for a year or more. Some wandering around and lots of talking. After a dress rehersal and some encouraging speech, off to the hotel. A lot of detours and near misses in the London trafic, we arrived at the Ilford Travelodge.

A basic hotel, just a reception and rooms. An icecream , soda pop and snack vending machine combined with 3 tables and 7 chairs completed that picture.
Some of us went out in search for something to eat. And by luck, we strolled in a fast food joint, that called itself China "whatever". But apperantly was pretty adapted to the neighborhood that felt more like a nice suburd of Kandahar. But the food was for the price and location superb.

Saturday, getting everything together, the robots eagerly awaiting their turn in the TV alike arena.

Mantis, the machine of Team RCC, an UK veteran that is in our care now, had some issues. The lack of selfrighter nor upside down driving capacity was severly handicaping in a Gravity Clone rich enviroment. But we got airtime. Enough to warent a flight licence.

The first show was well attended by the audience, and the second show was packed. But alas, the third show, starting at 7 pm was less succesfull. Maybe the combination of the time, a heavy thunderstorm and the location (my impression is that the O2 ain't a good spot for parents with their young kids in the evening/early night, and the people young enough to have seen RW on TV as a preteen or young teens, are now interested in other things at that time of day) was playing havoc with the attractivity of Robots, extreme wars.

In between the shows we tried to grab a local dinner, but the overpriced tourist trap restaurants had a technical difficulty. No gas to cook on.
So, after the show, back to the hotel and for food, the China "whatever".

Sunday morning, I ran afoul of the HS&E. Some people wanted stuff welded, and I had my TIG welder handy. Unfortunatly, in a PITs full of CO2 bottles, an Argon bottle wasn't allowed, so, on friday, that was put in the RR van. Oh well, after some walking, asking and waiting, the argon bottle was available, and I welded the stuff people asked me to weld (Bosch 750 axle/gear, main armor/frame, and a WD40 soaked, paint covered pivoting "nose")

Sunday went less well for audience, as well for the Dutch robots.
Mantis, using an experimental pump/motor combinatie did prove that cheap solutions ain't that cheap in the long run. The speed 900's driving the pump did emit the magic smoke.

Tough As Nails ran afoul of Tiberius, and got extra vent holes in the 3.2mm hardox armor. The CO2 bottle got a nick.
But in the end, got a trophy "International champion" after a few very exiting fights.

Gravity 5.1 still has some shakedown to do, but when it worked, it did extremely well. Still, I have the impression that even if the innards are mostely the same as Gravity 3 from series 7, there is something lacking.

The shows, even if attendance was low (easter sunday, beautifull beach weather) were smoother than saturday, and in my opinion came close to the atmosphere from the TV series.

Again Jonno and crew did their utterly best, I'm happy I was there.