Nanoid Cup 20th August 2011

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Craig_Anto3

Nanoid Cup 20th August 2011

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

Nanoid Cup
20th August 2011
Venue TBC

A new type of competition, not really related to Antweights but more related to my new venture.
I'm planning to host a new competition for robots, I'm looking for Bipeds, Quadrapods, Hexapods and Octopods (not shufflebots) to play football, sumo and sprint.
Awards will be given for each event and for overall points from all events.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5 ... =514652400
hopefully that link works, its my 2 humanoids to show what can be done.

Looking for robots that weigh 100g, 200g and 300g with a foot print of no more than 120mm by 120mm with no height limit

I'm hosting it in August to give plenty of time to prepare, the date has so meaning too a drink for anyone who can tell me what that is :)

To encourage people to build these new type of robots I'm going to do a build guide for a quadrapod on the website (work in progress)

Anyone interested?
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Sounds interesting you would need to define the football fairly early on so we know what to cope with and also the definition of walker / shuffle bot. Other than that it sounds like fun and I would certainly be up for it if you can get some other people to join.
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

It's my birthday!?
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I might be interested, I'm not particularly technically minded I'm afraid so a build guide and/or some examples of robots with what counts as a 'walking' design would be good :)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

sorry for the delay in responding and for the vague message.

Recently I've moved away from building robots like Anto, not because I'm bored or I dislike them, its because I'm looking for a new challenge, so I built ExV and Vee, simple humanoid robots but, I have now also built a quadrapod and it got me thinking...
these are simplified versions of the robot kits that cost hundereds of pounds or even thousands of dollars from places like Robosavvy and Trossen, not only are they simpler they're vastly cheaper, Vee was the most expensive one I built and that came to about ?40.
Not everyone has the knowledge to build one, but thats not because its complex simply because its not common place, so I've been planning to make a simple step by step open source project to show people how its done.

The robots I'm building and am hoping others will be able to build will compete in all 3 discipline's, without changing anything no additional parts and no changing of limbs etc

this isn't to get people away from antweights, its to introduce an new side to antweights, one where people can build more advanced robots that in time will compete against the traditional robots. I'm currently working on Anto 4, an 85mm tall humanoid with 18 degrees of freedom, with the intention of entering the AWS later this year.

if your interested let me know, I'll post details of the website later this week
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I may well be interested pending further technical advice :) have added you on MSN if that's okay.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
haz

Post by haz »

yep im iterested.
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

More advanced :cry: I confuse myself designing my robots already. :roll:

Having said that, ages ago I looked at making an antweight hexapod robot using 20 little servos. The cost put that one on the shelf.

However I am interested to see what you come up with.
TEAM GEEK!
Andrew_Hibberd

Re: Nanoid Cup 20th August 2011

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Any update on this Craig?
TEAM GEEK!
Craig_Anto3

Re: Nanoid Cup 20th August 2011

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

had a lot on so its been postponed for now, so that I have more time to write a how to guide for the pods, currently building a tripod for the AWS called Welles, which will be one of the first entrants for Nanoids