Event in the Essex area

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

D0ntstare

Event in the Essex area

Post by D0ntstare »

Hello, I was wandering whether anyone would want to come along to an event in the Essex area if I set one up one day, The scout hall nearby to me is around the same size as the one used at RFRC. I thought it might be nice to have a couple of events closer to the south east side of things, running alongside RFRC would keep the vents flowing in the area I think?

IF people would be interested then I will enquire and see about costs ect.

I would probably have to ask people to pay a small fee as our family are going through some times of terrible money troubles and could not afford to hire the hall and supply food and drink off of our own backs.

Please let me know if your interested and your thoughts as to my idea I would be really greatful

Best Regards

Bentley

P.S. I would strive to make it much like the Orr's event, a laid back fun day for everyone kind of attitude :D
'Everyone is brave behind a castle wall'

http://web.me.com/d0ntstare/Team_Stare/
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

I would be interested as I live in essex around chelmsford.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Hi Bently.
Why not pledge to host an AWS? We always look for people to do that, and its cool cos everyone comes to you. If you host the official competition it also means people are more likely to make an effort to come, rather than it just being another side event. People are willing to travel to Holland for the AWS, I'm sure Essex wouldn't be a problem. :)
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I'd be willing to come certainly :) I'd agree with Dave about offering to host an AWS but as far as I'm aware that might have to wait a while (I know Dave wants to do 34 in Hull, and I was hoping to do 35 in Pontefract if I'm honest :P)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

essex is a bit to far for me i'm afraid :(
D0ntstare

Post by D0ntstare »

Damn There is 2 events are cant go to already nicely listed :(

Thats a jolly good idea, but how long down the line would that be?, I was thinking of a reasonably small event much like RFRC as I dont think the scout hall would take loads of people, I could pledge to do an AWS but it would interesting to see how many would come along to a small side event in the near future,

As to Joey how much did it cost you to travel from your home to RFRC by train? that must have been at least 40 quid and must have taken you several hours?

D0ntstare

Post by D0ntstare »

Oh and Haywire, you are literally about 15 mins from me if you live near chelmsford haha

joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I can't remember but it probably cost considerably more than ?40 :P I had taxis to get from Pontefract to Wakefield Westgate station and also had tickets for any time to allow for being a few minutes early or late at stations, so it was probably in excess of ?100 for a return :-?

Time was about three to three and a half hours total probably, gave me lots of time to listen to music and play Pokemon on the way there and back.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
D0ntstare

Post by D0ntstare »

haha, your a blinking nut case lol You could have built an entirely new robot :P

One of the reasons I cant wait for the next RFRC is its so close to home :D

The Brighton AWS is not to bad, If I can convince mum its a family filled fun event haha

if not I may well go in my car and see if we make it :D

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Haha, in the early days, I used to travel to every event going. Once went to Reading and back from Leeds in a day, nearly killed me.

The thing about AWS's is, even though the competition is a bit more set in stone, you have Pete's sheets to guide you through all that. Apart from that aspect, they're just as chilled, family friendly and relaxed as all other events really. I've hosted two in the past and never had a moment of stress or disorganization (though I can't speak for everyone, haha).

I would like to host an AWS sometime soon as I'd like to build a new arena, but current circumstances would suggest waiting a couple before I threw my hat in. I'd even consider hosting somewhere that I have to travel to (eg Reading) if it meant more people could attend. I'd much rather have a larger turn out than host somewhere not many people will come to.

Bently, if you can make it to Brighton (which I can heartly recommend, it's going to be brilliant!) then bring it up. Ask around, see how many people would come to an Essex event, and possibly throw your hat into the ring to host an AWS. It's great fun, and everyone would help you out on the day.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39