Event in Walsall/Aldridge in early October

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Team Terror

Post by Team Terror »

Hi guys,
I can see that most people like the idea of holding the AWS at a heavyweight event, however, I think the AWS should be kept separate, so it will be more relaxed and quieter. Also, we will have the problem of people having robots in several weight classes, which can cause hold ups. RRC has worked well at the heavyweight events, but I would prefer to keep AWS separate.
Jack Evans
Captain
Team Terror
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I don't think the idea is to have the AWS at a heavy event but just to use the Snibston hall. Even when we went last time the heavies and feathers were only on static display, we did all the fighting.
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Yes, Peter is right. If we go ahead with this we will be the only moving robots, apart from a couple of demo type machines (perhaps a Dalek, that kind of thing)

Simon
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Jack, you're right. The AWS needs to be its own event. As far as I'm aware, this has always been the committee position. With typically 30+ entries it takes all day to get through the fights, without having to fit around anything else.

Simon, are we commiting to make this a public "exhibition" or is it on the understanding that we are just "doing our thing" and the public can watch?

I assume we can have a roboteers-only pit area and separate public viewing area?
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Yes, we can make a corral of tables, hold the AWS properly inside an exclusive area and have the public come and watch, ask the people who were there at the last Snibston (Peter W, Dave, Joey, Andy & Scott, apologies if I left anyone out) but if you guys don't want to do then I don't want to force you... Let me know

Simon
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

I have not said I don't want to run an AWS at Snibston, but I am concerned that we run a good AWS for the competitors, wherever it is held.

Bearing in mind that we typically have to accomodate 20-30 people and 30+ robots and comfortably fill a moderate-sized hall, is there sufficient space for everyone away from the public access?

For safety and security we need to have enough space to store, charge and repair all of the robots out of reach of visitors.

If those that are familiar with the venue are happy that it is big enough, then I'm happy to go along with it. Just remember that an AWS is very different to a small demonstration.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

The room we were in last time was a moderately sized conference room, we had only 'walled off' about a third of it for our use and I think we could probably just about accommodate an entire AWS, if we had a smaller area for spectators. I haven't got much event hosting experience so others' observations will probably be more useful.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Last time as Simon said we set up tables that form a square shaped area with two of the rooms walls and probably took up about one third of the area of the room. The arena was placed at the corner formed where the rows of tables met so the spectators could view from two sides and we had extra tables down the walls in the fenced off area. They also had a projector and screen which helped the audiance see. It really was a good place we were able to park just outside, organise ourselves as we wanted and the staff were very helpful. Being a engineering type museum most of the visitors were interested in the robots and there were some quite interesting exhibits there although I didn't get much time to look round.
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

OK guys, there doesn't seem to be enough interest. I've left this hanging for long enough, so I'll let Robots Live know that it isn't going to happen.

Simon