AWS 30 - a milestone!

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

AWS 30 - a milestone!

Post by BeligerAnt »

Yes, AWS30 is upon us. This deserves to be the best AWS we can manage. RazerDave suggested coordinating it with the Portsmouth RR event (they are only doing Sunday this year?) in order to persuade the Europeans to make a weekend of it.

We already have Richmond in September and Reading (Robots Live) in October, so November looks like being the best time.

Does anyone really, desperately, want to host this event? No-one approached me at AWS29. If you do, please post below.

I am happy to run it in Brighton if it is felt to be a good venue that will provide maximum attendance. If we coordinate with Portsmouth RR, I am about the closest. If anyone has any other ideas, I really don't mind.

If you have a great venue but are unsure about the actual running of the event, producing certificates, etc I'm sure many of us will be willing to help out if you want to spread the load.

Feel free to suggest dates (or dates to avoid), and anything else we need to consider.
Let the debate commence... :wink:

Edit: Nowhere above did I suggest that AWS30 should be part of the Roaming Robots event at Portsmouth. Please read the post carefully!
Last edited by BeligerAnt on Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
JimBeeden

Post by JimBeeden »

I would offer hosting it in stafford as im sure i could find somewhere big enough for a day, but location wise i guess im a bit far out compared to where everyone else is, plus id need uber help setting it up haha
Flipsting Progress: Completed version 2, first was a cardboard version, pictures will be on website when its set up
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Portsmouth is Saturday and Sunday according to their website

Sounds like an interesting idea though. Be warned, Roaming Robots, although giving us a great platform for publicity will also impose restrictions like when we can fight and when not (all for good reasons) and if roboteers with more than one weight class enter the AWS they will more than likely be putting their heavier robots at a higher priority than their antweights, so might not be available to fight when we want them to.

Those are the reasons why a RRC at Robots Live is more a showcase than a competition. We'll be there though, and I'll bring my stage lights and video camera to feed into the big screens.

Simon

P.S. Stafford is fine with me, a lot further south than Hull, which is the furthest north I've ever been in search of robot combat.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Sorry, that was my misunderstanding. Jonno had said that because of the cost of the event he may only do 1 day, but I'll find out.

I would hope that for AWS 30 we can get our continential freinds to come over even without the lure of the HW event
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

I am going to try and make this AWS whether it is part of an existing event or not, I now have 2 ants with another one planned so hopefully we will be there.
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

I will definetly come to this one, no matter what. Just you set the date early on so I, and all other outside England, can book and order tickets while they are still cheap.
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Team Terror

Post by Team Terror »

Hi all,
Portsmouth is way too far for me, and I would rather keep AWS separate to heavy and feather events, to be honest, as I nearly always get interference at the live events. Stafford would be a great place for me, if not, maybe a more central location again, like Oxford?
Jack Evans
Captain
Team Terror
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

I agree with Jack. This should be big and special, and I don't think we're going to achieve that with integration into another event.

I'm all for events where there are other weightclasses, but the AWS is like our flagship; it would seem perculiar for it to be held at an event where, in the organiser's (and public's) eyes, we were not the main attraction.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

If in the end , its hosted as a seperate vent and held in brightion IM THERE :D .

im going to the portsmouth Rrobots anyway , so itll be nice to see wom,e aws people there even if theres no ants there.
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Please note: I did not suggest that the AWS was anything to do with the RR event, merely that if RR were only a 1-day event on Sunday, we could run the AWS on the Saturday.
I have always been one of the strongest opponents of running an AWS at another event, for all the reasons stated above.

Jim, the AWS committee need to be confident that the event will be properly organised, which is why we insist on it being run by someone that is over 18 (so they can legally hire a venue) and also someone that is well known to us and familiar with how an AWS runs - someone that has taken part in a few AWS.

So let's try again, any suggestions for AWS30?
Gary, Team BeligerAnt