AWS 30 - a milestone!

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Just to say that we will be at the Portsmouth show, hopefully in a front location to the audience, and with some fights televised on the big screens.

So, I hadn't heard of the over 18 rule before, but if that's what we're working to now then are there any takers?

Simon
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I seem to remember the 18 years old rule came in after we let a young lad organise AWS8 at his school fete and when we arrived no one seem to be expecting us. They did find us a classroom and it all went off OK but it nearly didn't.
I am always prepared to organise an AWS if no one else wants to but I must admit I always enjoy a visit to Brighton. I can almost smell the sea air and the sausage sandwiches from here.
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

didnt josh valman host an aws, hes under 18 isnt he?

anyway, Brighton looks the most popular at the mo :)
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Jack: I think they actually mean just that you preferably have to be a veteran to host a AWS just so you know how things work, possible errors, in case you forget something (like the venue Pete wrote about). There is no rule (official anyway) that says you need to be 18 to host.
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

PeterW is one of the few that have been around long enough to remember the reasons for insisting on adult organisers. IIRC one of the reasons for having the committee was to decide where to hold an AWS in the days when everyone was clamouring to hold it!

Jack, it's true that Josh hosted an AWS, as did Mark & Ben a long while ago. The point was that these were "family-run" events where we knew the parents as they had been involved at AWSs for a while. IMHO Team Orr also fall into this category :) However, do you (and your parents!) want to host RFRC2 in September AND the AWS in November? It would be a shame to lose RFRC, but I do think Richmond would be a good location.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

Sorry , im probably having a stupid moment , but is it going to be held at richmond or brighton ?
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
Team Terror

Post by Team Terror »

I could probably get to richmond, but not brighton
Jack Evans
Captain
Team Terror
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

right team orr's view:

. we ARE willing to do both rfrc 2 AND AWS 30
. RFRC 2 WILL go ahead as planned
. we are more than happy to host AWS 30
. however, if Gary wants to host the AWS we dont mind if he hosts,

yeah, so we are willing to host both, more than happy :) but if Gary is wanting to host he may :) rfrc is being run as per usual.

cool :)

jack
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

yeah :) so any thoughts?
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Sorry, been away from the computer for a few days...

Dave, any news about Roaming Robots? If it's not going to help us, it may even be a hinderance having AWS and RR the same weekend.

Jack, I don't mind if you want to host it. I'm not desperate to do it as James will have some GCSEs to do around then. I only offered since no-one had volunteered.

Does anyone else have any input? It would be nice to hear from Leo and/or Tim, and PeteC and Oliver.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt