AWS 30 - a milestone!

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

Sorry , im probably having a stupid moment , but is it going to be held at richmond or brighton ?
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
Team Terror

Post by Team Terror »

I could probably get to richmond, but not brighton
Jack Evans
Captain
Team Terror
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

right team orr's view:

. we ARE willing to do both rfrc 2 AND AWS 30
. RFRC 2 WILL go ahead as planned
. we are more than happy to host AWS 30
. however, if Gary wants to host the AWS we dont mind if he hosts,

yeah, so we are willing to host both, more than happy :) but if Gary is wanting to host he may :) rfrc is being run as per usual.

cool :)

jack
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

yeah :) so any thoughts?
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Sorry, been away from the computer for a few days...

Dave, any news about Roaming Robots? If it's not going to help us, it may even be a hinderance having AWS and RR the same weekend.

Jack, I don't mind if you want to host it. I'm not desperate to do it as James will have some GCSEs to do around then. I only offered since no-one had volunteered.

Does anyone else have any input? It would be nice to hear from Leo and/or Tim, and PeteC and Oliver.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

thanks Gary, that would be great :) be good to hear other opinions, and good luck to james in his GCSE's :)

personally, i would shy away from aws + RR/RL, RRC + RR/RL would be good (last October was great) but roboteers with bigger weight classes (me, dave w etc...) would have to work on their bigger bots, and i personally like the vibe of a nice quiet ( bar brushless motors :P ) ant event.

jack
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

If the events where combined , i would be concentrating on my FW and probably wouldn't have time to fight an antweight , so yeah , its a nice idea, but it would probably be best if the events where separated :)
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

You're missing the point again! :roll:

There is no suggestion that the AWS will be part of, or combined with, any other event!

How many time do I have to post this? :roll:

The proposal was to consider holding the AWS the day before a one-day Roaming Robots event to encourage more European visitors to make a weekend of it and attend the AWS and RR (separately!).

If RR is to be 2 days, then it clearly doesn't work, and I'm not even sure that having both on one weekend would necessarily be a good idea. Some people may have to make the choice of one event or the other, meaning that we gain maybe a couple of European entrants but lose far more British ones.

Having checked the Roaming Robots website (why didn't I do it before?) there is a one-day event at Maidstone on Sunday 15th November. We could run the AWS in Richmond (London, not Yorkshire!) or Brighton on Saturday the 14th. Alternatively we could run the AWS another date, probably the 7th. The 31st October is only the week after RRC/RL, maybe that's a bit too close?

So what do people think? The 31st, 7th or 14th (venue availabiility permitting)?
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

sorry but i going to have to confirm your fears , my dad is driving me up there and back , theres no way hes gona do it twice in 2 days (its quite along way :(). And in preferance , im going to have to go to the RR event :( , sorry .
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

I would love to come to this AWS but I know that I personally would not be able to attend if it is held the day before a RR event (there is usually enough work to do before hand getting the heavy and feathers running).

Although seeing as it is looking like the event will be held somewhere in the south east then there might be a remote chance that I will be able to turn up. If it was the week after RRC then there is a much better chance that I will be able to make it.

Of course this is just my opinion as someone who competes in many weight classes, and other people may have a different view. Either way I will do my best to try and get to my first AWS.
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk