AWS27 Reading Sat 8th November 2008

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

I think that Zak's pants is called Smartie Pants.

Nathan is thinking of entering another self-built robot.

BTW (for Dave W) directions to the venue are at http://www.rdg.ac.uk/bowls/findus.htm

Simon
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

My understanding of the rules was only three rolling robots and one walker I don't remember anything about cluster bots. Having said that my memory is not all it used to be and I can find no restrictions on numbers mentioned in version 4 of the rules so what do other people remember. Looks like I better do some bigger charts the last thing we want is to reduce the number of entries.
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

PeteW Anto is 868MHZ not 40.868Mhz
just means I cant clash with anyone

I'm desiding whether to enter XP i'm jus not sure if it will handle a waller bot
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

The clusterbot rule has been around since AWS18 and has come up on a good many occasions, sometimes involving Fleabite Pete. Anti-Bi-Botics 1 and 2, EPZ, Trojan and Devil's Buddy are all examples of this from past AWS's.

On this note though, after reading through rules 4.0 on Oliver's website, there isnt any mention at all of the limits on teams (only 4 ants per team, one has to be a walker or a cluster ect.)
I know we all know these rules, but they really should be on there somewhere.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I wasn't disputing the fact that fleas have entered as clusterbots just that they were not the fourth entry for a team. Certainly I have for a long time always entered 3 and a walker and the only time I remember flebite as part of a clusterbot it was part of someone elses team and I fairly sure I didn't even drive it.
Remote-Controlled Dave

I know, I'm saying most of those above clusters entered as the "fourth" ant, instead of a walker. You drove fleabite as part of a cluster at AWS18 with my fleaweight, though the cluster was registered on my team and you already had 4 ants. I drove fleabite at AWS19 as part of a cluster as the fourth ant on my brother's team.
EPZ was driven as a cluster as part of Scott's team at AWS18.
Trojan was a cluster registered as Marco's fourth ant at AWS20.
This rule has been around a good long while! I remember voting on it at the AWS19 meeting after testing it out at AWS18, and its been in ever since, which is why Craig brought it up earlier.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

If I may be so bold as to point out, in the newest ruleset, there is NO limit whatsoever to the amout of ants an individual can enter, walkers, rollers or otherwise.

I have been told before, as have Dave, Craig and Joacim, it seems, that you can enter a cluster as your 4th bot. I have done this once before with Devil's Buddy (as my 4th bot) at AWS 26. I heard no objections...

Just my 2 cents worth
Remote-Controlled Dave

On this note though, after reading through rules 4.0 on Oliver's website, there isnt any mention at all of the limits on teams (only 4 ants per team, one has to be a walker or a cluster ect.)
I know we all know these rules, but they really should be on there somewhere.
I already said that. lol.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

I don't have enough patience to check this out, but if you look at the bottom of http://www.robotwars101.org/ants/antwei ... /index.php you'll see all the old rules. I checked version 3.1 and it didn't seem to mention the number of robots, so perhaps that's up to the organiser?

In my experience, and opinion, the more robots a competitor has the more time they spend faffing around trying to fix the ones that don't work, rather than getting on with the fighting, and making everyone else wait. Having a fourth robot composed of two other robots would make this even worse! We now have rule 2s where robots get five minutes to fight or they lose, but nobody wants that to happen.

Anyway, that's just my opinion: I hate waiting. I suppose it's up to Oliver as the organiser, but we could discuss this as a rule change?

Simon
Remote-Controlled Dave

Me and Dave checked all the previous rules and its never actually been mentioned.
I dont want to change the four ant rule, I think its good as it is, fair, has always worked well ect.
I just want the cluster rule acknowledged properly, cos it was agreed on at AWS19 and now people are saying it wasnt.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39