New Featherweights

Something to tickle your fancy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

alasdair

Post by alasdair »

Yeah, it is probably better if i have a speedo as my tactic it to ram inot opponents at high speeds and it wont work as well without variable speed.
haz

Post by haz »

probaply best if you have the money, the motors rip my mounts with off or on (reinforced them with 3mm ali) :D
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

haz wrote:probaply best if you have the money, the motors rip my mounts with off or on (reinforced them with 3mm ali) :D
Yeah, i have decided to go with a speedo, after watching a vid by martsard on utube. The servo mechanism gives the drive on 2 sticks, and i am used to driving on the left only.
haz

Post by haz »

umm you can just plug the servos in diferent channels :D
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

Oh well, i need variable speed anyway...
terminaldamage

Post by terminaldamage »

do you guys think that those drill motors will stand up to being thrown around by flippers
Yeah they should cope comfortably. Something to bear in mind is that when you get flipped, the chances of your robot landing straight onto its wheels is slim. You'll usually find that an edge or corner of your robot chassis hits the floor first, taking most of the energy out of the impact. Then once it has bounced around a little and gone onto its wheels, there is nowhere near as much force going through the drives than if the robot had landed straight onto its wheels.

I use cheap drill motors in all my robots and have been flipped several times but have never suffered damage to the drill motors as a result. This isn't to say it will never happen, but it's not a common occurrence.
Jamie McHarg
RogueTwo Robots
www.rogue-two-robots.vze.com

With great power, comes great reliability.
daliad100

Post by daliad100 »

You can do a full speed control from just servos. It's similar to the way I'm planning to make Stack Error 3's flipper massively powerful except you use a much bigger H bridge, don't hook up the servo's motor (you only need the board) and you do a 360 mod to the servo.

I'm not sure about safety but it will certainly work :D

Edit: I'm thinking of changing the hammer weapon on my featherweight to a much simpler pusher that can still strafe like the hammerbot however is invertible, can spin very quickly and should be much stronger due to my plan to make a steel outside shell with the bits where the wheels are from thinner steel and some plastic to add thickness to the motor mounts and the base and lid.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5O ... directlink

I might call it 'Son of a Brick' and paint it red or paint it yellow and call it 'Black Box Fight Recorder'. [/url]
Team Imperial - What is that, metric?
haz

Post by haz »

son of a brick, i like that, you cant name your robot too seriosly :D
none of my robots have sensible names, deodorANT, hippie ant, antipersperANT and my feather (takes deap breath) radioactive kung fu frigde boy, update on that: it drives now carering around at about 8mph :D
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

After much thought and discussion with my Dad, i have decided that i will stick to ants, as feathers are a bit out of my price and time range. I might be able to do one when i have more time and experience, but antweights are fine for me.

So to make up for it, i have decided to announce the creation of my new ant- FrANTic! :D
haz

Post by haz »

5 mugs of tea + 2 bacon sandwiches + 10mm hdpe+ hammer+ bored teenager =

http://s947.photobucket.com/albums/ad31 ... to0112.jpg