New Featherweights

Something to tickle your fancy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

danjr1

Post by danjr1 »

Did I read right that spinners like hypnodisc aren't allowed in robo challenge as the arenas aren't rated for the potential damage?
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Actually, the opposite is true. Featherweight spinners are allowed in the Robochallenge arena ONLY. Roaming Robots and Robots Live are Class 3 arenas which are not able to contain spinners, whereas Robochallenge's arena is a Class 2, which can. Its not big enough to have 2 heavy's fight in it unfortunately.
danjr1

Post by danjr1 »

whats the best stuff to make a simple square frame out of? ive been thinking of HDPE as it seems popular but as people have said you cant thread it and i dont think i have the tools to weld it. any ideas? [/img]
terminaldamage

Post by terminaldamage »

Its not big enough to have 2 heavy's fight in it unfortunately
Apparently they're not allowed to run two heavyweights in it either (at a public event anyway) otherwise I think it would breach its rating. I remember at the 2008 UK champs, they had both Razer and Tiberius doing demos one after the other, and although they left each heavyweight in the arena while they other one was demo-ing, they had to make sure the idle machine was de-activated while the other machine was live.
Jamie McHarg
RogueTwo Robots
www.rogue-two-robots.vze.com

With great power, comes great reliability.
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

danjr1 wrote:whats the best stuff to make a simple square frame out of? ive been thinking of HDPE as it seems popular but as people have said you cant thread it and i dont think i have the tools to weld it. any ideas? [/img]
What i am going to do is to get a load of box section aluminium, bolt it together, and bolt as aluminium base on one of the faces. I will then send it to a blacksmith and they can weld it up. i will then take the bollts out and have a sturdy frame! (which i will then armour with HDPE) .

All this assuming you are talking about feathers... :D
daliad100

Post by daliad100 »

HDPE is self tapping and bolts will cut their own thread in it. Just drill the hole a bit undersize and brute force the bolt/screw in and it will actually grip the thread so not fall out.

Hence no need to weld and you can completely make your robot out of it.

There is a page on Jack Orr's website with more about it if you want more.
Team Imperial - What is that, metric?
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

i am looking into to making an electric lifting arm, powered by an actuator. Does anyone have any know how on the subject (do i need a speedo, where i can get one etc.)
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

You can either buy an electronize speed controller for it, or, since lifters are generally slow (trust me I know) you will want full power one way or another. In which case, you will want a relay box. To make one you need 2 x 24v (or 12 if you're using that) automotive relays, 2 microswitches and a servo. I will send you a wiring diagram shortly Alisdair.

What it basically does it the servo clicks the microswitch, which puts power through one relay and causing it to open and put power into the motor one way. Clicking the other microswitch sends the power the other way around, reversing the motor.
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

A pic from the days before CAD :)

TEAM GEEK!
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

haz wrote:may i recomend drill motors, they are 10quid each from argos and 50a boat controlers ?32 from ebay
I assume you mean these ones:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... +DRILL.htm

I might try to go for 4 wheels- do you think i should have a drive chain or go for 4 motors? I dont know how much Amps those motors take, but my controller which i want can have 2 motors up to ten amps each. I assume that simply means i can wire 2 5amp motors into one motor controller terminal?