winscreen wiper motors
50%
electric scooter motors
50%

Total votes: 8

tom of technology

i need help

Post by tom of technology »

I havent been on the forum for a long time (busy with school). But i am thinking of building a super ant but ive never attempted one before and need to knopw a few things,

first of all im not completely shure of the wight limit as there is a lot of contridicting info on the web :-?

motors: i am thinking of using windscreen wiper motors and a sevo to activate a pneumatic valve for the flipper.

speed control: i am on a scarily small budget so i walked down to sussex model centre and bought 2 6 amp 9.6Vsped controllers(?7.99 gws), ihope to power two 12V relays(ive loosend the solinoid springs and they will triger on 9.6V) with them wihich in turn will switch the windscreen wiper motors. in theory it should work but i feel im over looking some much better alternatives.

last of all is the pneamtic weapon. I am thinking of using 2 small(ish) rams on a "Y" connector and servo operated valve, and a "made for the job" airtank.

all of this plus chassis and other bits and bobs i can just about afford but money saving sugestions are very welcome... any suggestions are welcome.

best regs tom
josh

Post by josh »

to my knowledge i do not beleive that the super ants are still run at any event although i am not entirely sure
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

My guesses is that Tom just posted in the wrong thread. I dont know any Superantweight that uses Scooter motor, and still be under 240 gram :lol:
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

I think he meant to post in the Featherweight Section ;)
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

Placing a speed controller behind a relay is not a smart thing to do, you will end up with welded relays. A speed controller switches on and off hundreds of times per second, the relays cant keep up and will arc shut.

Speed controllers like the electronizes only use relays to switch between forward and reverse, not to do the actual speed control.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
tom of technology

sorry everybody

Post by tom of technology »

i have now realised my HUGE error i posted this in the wrong part of the forum, but i hope this is still vallid.

leo
i looked acrfully and there was considerable arcing on the relay contacts and at 1 poitn the motor was stuck on but i have fixed the probleem with a small electrolytic capacitor (and a pretection diode) acros the relay coil contacts.

on another note i am still undecided whether to use windscree wiper motors or scooter motors