links

Something to tickle your fancy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

links

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

If anyone has links to stuff that is suitable for use in a featherweight, can you post 'em up? I'm mainly thinking motors and electronics boards/speed controllers ect. I need them quite small and flat too.
Thanks.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

featherweights.org

drill motors are cheap, can be mounted with ukrobotics.com mounts. They are about 80mm high. electo.......something....... or....... other...... speed controllers more on that in featherweights.org are about 30mm high

That maybe helps a little

I have no idea about weapons, i only got the motors and mounts:P
TEAM GEEK!
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Technobots.co.uk - It's about the only site you'll need for feathers.

Get the 30amp electronize controllers if you can afford them, and get the external relay mods. That means you can then got some drill motors and really overload them :D

If you're looking for motors, i'd say avoid windscreen wiper motors, they're a bit too heavy, and very slow. And unless you're looking to build your own gearbox, drill motors are far and away the best way to go. Try Argos for the motors, get the 9.6v ones, and try them on 12v.
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Rhys, on the note of featherweights. I have a feather in the building, i have no idea when it will be done. All i have is two motors which are mounted on a ply chassis. I will use a standard rx and 2 standard servos to make a bang bang system-will have to get some relays- do you know where to get any suitable ones?

It will be some time before i can afford to get the speed controllers and fit a weapon.
TEAM GEEK!
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

The ones on the technobots website are the ones I always use. They're in the electrical section. You'll need 2 per motor. 12V SPCO 30/40A Relays are the ones you'll need. They also have micro switches there, incase you need them too.

Quick tip though, don't over-volt drill motors without speed control. Not good for batteries, motors, or control :S
Remote-Controlled Dave

Displaying my embarrasingly low technical level, I know a relay is some kind of electronic switch, but how, and what, do you use them for?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

I'm not all that technical, so if my explanation sounds a bit crappy to all you techie type people, im sorry.

I relay is like a switch that is operated by another switch. The reason being, most switches can only handle 15A max, and most feathers (especially drill motor ones) like to use 30A. So we use a 15A switch to turn on the relay, which gives 30A to the motor.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Makes sense Rhys. Can you turn on a relay with a servo then?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Not that i know of. You need push a microswitch with a servo, which activates the relay. Relays don't have a "switch" as such. They turn on by applying a voltage across two terminals.

Relays and switched for control of a motor is quite tricky to get your head around when starting, but about a million times easier when you see how it all works.
paul

Post by paul »

ok a simple one has 4 terminals...

. ______
|o......o | <2 there
|...........|
|o......o.| <2 there (this is fun =) )
|______|

the wire with a high current goes on the top 2 (or bottom depending on what way round it is)....

..... ______
----|-o....o-|------ kinda like that (if its bent)
.....|...........|
.....|o.......o|
.....|______|

then u add the lower current circuit....

..... ______
----|-o....o-|------
.....|..........|
----|-o....o-|----- (now thats screwed up) (as in messed up)
.....|______|

so when u pass a current through the smaler circuit a reave switch (a large one) is clossed...

______
|.....|....|
|..o. \...| (open)
|..o.\....|
|___|__|

______
|.....|....|
|..0..|...| (clossed - voltage flows through the larged circuit)
|..0.|....|
|___|__|

so what happens is the smaller circuit passes a voltage through the small electro magnets (the balls) and that causes the reave switch to close =)

And thats bassicly it, however most relays have more terminals on the larger section.

over and out,
Paul

ps, sorry bout all the dots, it doesnt like spaces =/