Any ideas for a site?

Places to spend cash or learn things!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

bobblebot

Any ideas for a site?

Post by bobblebot »

I have purchased the domain name www.antweights.co.uk (PeteC, didn't that used to be one of yours?) and at the moment it currently redirects to my antweights section on Bobblebot.co.uk.

The thing is, I would very much like to do something that is useful to everybody with the domain, seeing as it is quite a decent URL to have. I have a few ideas, but as I want it to ideally benefit as many people as possible, I quite want to see what you think.

Here are a couple of the ideas I have at the moment:

1) An online events service - event organisers can add their events to the site, so that the details can be viewed by everybody. The results could be posted onto the site after the event, thus creating an archive of all the Antweight events. This is certainly an idea that could be greatly expanded, so any further ideas - let me know.

2) An Antweight Wiki. I'm sure you have all seen Wikipedia, so basically the same idea for Antweights.

3) ?? Who knows - if anyone has any good ideas please let me know. I am willing to spend a large amount of time and effort on this site if people will use it, and I have enough technical knowledge to do (almost) anything.

The two options above are what I think would be the most useful to everyone, but if you have an idea of something you think the antweight community is currently lacking, please feel free to suggest it.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

I would go for a Wikipedia. Where you can post teams and their bots, such as specs and attended events.
I would call it Ant-pedia :)
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

I think a Wiki would work well, because it wouldn't just be 1 person updating it, everyone could get involved and it would be more likely to be kept up-to-date. That was the main reason behind that idea anyway.

Ant-Pedia sounds good :)

Any other suggestions? (for ideas and/or names! ;) )
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Why just ants? Why not include some of the other weight classes? That way it would be updated more often!
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

Well, being antweights.co.uk, I think it should focus on Ants, but there is no reason why we couldn't include info on Feathers etc, the FRA and Roaming Robots etc. There are people here knowledgable enough to get it started, and a post on the FRA forum should hopefully get things going there too. I am currently playing around with MediaWiki now, so we will see how it goes.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Yeah, a wiki would be the best way to go. They're quite easy to put up too.
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Yes, a Wiki sounds great.

Simon
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

OK, as a Wiki seems to be the most popular, I have the Wiki software working, I am just checking the rights access and setting up a few basic pages. Hopefully I will be able to make it public by tomorrow.
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

http://www.antweights.co.uk

Right, the Wiki is up, I have added a few basic pages to it. You have to register for an account before you can start editing/adding content. While that is a bit of a pain, I think it a good move to keep the idiots out.

Feel free to add any content you like -
Robot profiles
AWS details etc.

There is a list here: http://www2.bobblebot.co.uk:8008/antwik ... antedpages

Of all the pages that urgently need writing.

I am interested to see what you think of the speed of the page loading times, as it was behaving a bit slow for my liking yesterday. If it is slow, not to worry as we have a brand new faster web server ready to take over the site very soon and hopefully that should speed things up dramatically.

BTW I am still open to name suggestions, at the moment it is using the default name AntweightWiki, but if anybody has any better ones let me know.

Get writing! :D

http://www.antweights.co.uk
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

Port 8008 is closed for us in the company network (even for me), so unfortunatly i wont be able to see the progress on this.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website