Opinions Please

Places to spend cash or learn things!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

More content has gone up over the past few weeks, you can also now register and log in, or although if you do, don't forget your password because you can't recover it yet :wink: I will get the rest done as soon as possible along with the actualy homepage (it's only a tempory one at the moment) and a page for my new antweight walker (Antisocial) which I am currently planning.
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

Pete Waller had a robot called antisocial, it was a 4wd hs-81 pusher i suggest u ask him if its ok to use the name he hasnt used it since the first nano wars
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

In an old thread before the forum got hacked I did ask his permission and he said I was free to use it as he had not used it for ages. I don't think the thread survived the hacking though.

The site is down for a few days - server power supply has gone. Should be back online by Wednesday
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

The web site is now back up and functioning normally. Going to http://www.bobblebot.co.uk/home will get you into the site while it is still being developed. Any comments would be welcome :) .
Dave26 wrote:I'm on dial-up yea. And its always timed out for me. Would give opinions, but cant. lol
Dave
We are hopefully going to try and solve that problem soon, I will let you know how our testing goes.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The site looks nice, but there are currently far too many dead links! I know you're still building the site, but when over half the links return the dreaded "http 404 error" it doesn't look good!
Personally I would rather not see the links at all, or have them "greyed out" and inactive rather than returning errors.
All the links on the homepage link to half an image file - not a good starting point!

It all looks promising, but it needs completing (or pruning!). Keep at it!

(BTW run it all through a spell-checker! :wink: )
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

I recommend http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html to check your broken links.

Quality is really important on a website. people will go elsewhere really quickly if they're being irritated by a website.

Simon
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

The links don't work as it is still in development, in the final version (unlike my current/old sites) it will not have ANY unfinished sections/pages. The homepage is a tempory one - server problems have meant I cant upload a new one yet.

Good advice about the spell checker :) I do correct the majority of mistakes as I'm going along but some do slip though. A large majority of spelling mistakes are sorted on pages that are waiting to be uploaded but if I miss a few drop me e-mail if they are fairly major ones.

The majority of broken links I am aware are broken - the pages haven't been made yet! :P In the final version there will be no broken links and I also hope to incorporate a broken link reporting program in the final version just incase any slip through the net.

Thank you for checking it over - I really do appreciate it as I do realise it can be tedious to do so but it is very helpful to me, as I have always found users see my site differently to me as they actually use its content etc whereas I just make it and browse it without a second thought.

Unfortunately, for the time being, progress will be a bit slower than I would like as I am working on a site for a business and that is more important as it is on a deadline and it isn't personally for me so I need to get it right but I will keep you informed of any major changes :)

Thanks Again
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

A lot of work has been done on the site recently, the Antweight section is now complete with no more pages to be added. Links section is now also complete although I am aware there are A LOT of broken links as the lists are getting on for 2/3 years old.

The registration is now complete and you can now recover lost passwords and change your current passwords. The members exclusive content has not been added yet so the only advantage of registering is that you can use the commenting system built into the news articles pages.

The homepage is coming on nicely and I will be updating the links on it to fit in with the newly completed pages later this evening.

There are still bugs in the site and there are more than a few broken links :) but rest assured, I am working on it and the site should hopefully be ready to go by the end of January 2006. Hopefully a bit before if it all goes well.

If you happen to be reading the site and spot any major errors (particularly in the AW section) then please let me know.

Likewise if any odd errors appear that are generated by the server appear I would be interested to know.

Thank You :P
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

Site will be going live a week tomorrow :)
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

New site is up - I am aware of 1 broken link in the robotics section (the link to robot wars). It will be fixed very soon.

http://www.bobblebot.co.uk

Comments on the final version would be apreciated - anything you have managed to break/something that is not working right/spelling mistakes etc.

Thanks