Opinions Please

Places to spend cash or learn things!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Great site, well thought out.

Rules need updating to 3.1

When are we going to see your robots at a comp?
TEAM GEEK!
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

When their done :)

Soon I hope. Not AWS 19 but possibly 20. Bobblebot will probably never compete (too old/outdated parts) but Antisocial will. You never know, they both might be there.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Bring 'em both, no point in not if you've spent all the time building 'em. Stuff never gets outdated if you can still win with it. lol.
Man, AWS20 is gonna be killer! Hope I'm not on work experience...
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

Andrew_Hibberd wrote: Rules need updating to 3.1
Done :)
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

I know it has been ages since anyone has posted in here but still...

A few things we have discovered...

For those of you who can't access the site on broadband - we believe we have found the problem. Over zealous security programs (firewalls and the like) seem to block the site. No idea why, and of course I don't recommend you turn off your firewall/security for obvious reasons so unless you want to turn them down/off and try the site and then turn them back on immediately after then unfortunately there is no way you can access the site at the moment. Sorry about that, but it is really out of my hands.

Dial Up Users - It would appear the server/connection times out. It appears to affect some worse than others as we can access the site from our backup dial up connection at home. Again not a lot I can do I'm afraid, so unless you get broadband it is unlikely you will be able to access the site, but you are very welcome to try of course ;).

By the way, I don't believe anyone on here is signed up to the newsletter (actually I think Ewan might be) but there won't be any newsletters for a while as explained here: http://www2.bobblebot.co.uk:8008/news/v ... .php?id=36

and here:

http://www2.bobblebot.co.uk:8008/news/v ... .php?id=37

We are having major problems at the moment, but hopefully the move to the new server should cure these issues.

If you read the blog on the site you will be aware I am developing a new version of the site for next year at the moment, so as usual any suggestions for site (content, design, anything!) are welcome. Email them to me at spikly(AT)gmail.com or post here. Alternatively, sign up for testing at http://beta.bobblebot.co.uk I usually get valuable suggestions from this forum so don't let me down will you? :lol:

Thank You.
kickboxer

Post by kickboxer »

Dave26 wrote:Dunno if this helps you, but it wont load up on my comp. The last site wouldnt either. I mean, my comp aint up to much, but...
it doesent for mine and i have a ?5,000 computer so it cant be that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

If you tried it today it wouldn't because our server has been down all day. :P

It should be back up for the rest of this evening, but will be down during the day again tomorrow due to necessary maintenance.
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

Hi everyone,
I have just uploaded a big update to the Antweight Wiki, which will hopefully make it better to look at and easier to use. I've also installed some analytics software so visitor numbers can be tracked and monitored to find out which pages are the most popular and which ones perhaps need a bit more work.

Unfortunately a few weeks back the Wiki was attacked by spammers. I was planning to do some major updates to it over the summer to reinvigorate it and take advantage of the renewed interest in Robot Wars related stuff because of the Dave re-runs but the attack forced me to bring a few of them forward to prevent it happening again.

As a result some bugs may be present, so if you do have problems editing or viewing pages on the Wiki please let me know and I'll see if I can fix it! :)

[edit] I have also now enabled user registration, click the login link in the top right corner then click register.

The Wiki is available from the same URL as always: http://www.antweights.co.uk
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Looks much better than it did. Just a cheeky question; why don't you use wikipedia?
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

Haha! The original version of the AntWiki did use Wikipedia's MediaWiki actually, however it totally messed up when we moved servers. DokuWiki (now I've got it sorted properly!) is much better in this regard as it stores the pages in text files... and as we are currently planning another server move I'm definitely not going back to MediaWiki at the moment! :P

I'm not ruling it out in the future though, if usage of the Wiki picks up a bit it might be worth looking at it again.