3D printer supplies

Places to spend cash or learn things!

Moderators: petec, administrator, BeligerAnt

peterwaller

Re: 3D printer supplies

Post by peterwaller » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:20 am

Any one into 3D printing might be interested in the TCT show on 28th / 29th Sept at the NEC.
You need to preregister but it is free.
http://www.tctshow.com/

UserFriendly

Post by UserFriendly » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:38 pm

peterwaller wrote:Any one into 3D printing might be interested in the TCT show on 28th / 29th Sept at the NEC.
You need to preregister but it is free.
http://www.tctshow.com/
James Bruton did a video on the show if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlyetKUgDp8

Can't see you anywhere Peter :D
Andy B - Team UserFriendly
Reading Cybernetics Graduate 1996
Trying not to take Antweights too seriously. I think I'm failing.
First AWS was 46.

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:53 pm

Yes it was a great show with plenty of new or improved materials.
I have quite a few samples to try one that looks particularly strong is a nylon with carbon fibers built in called nylforce.

UserFriendly

Post by UserFriendly » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:59 am

peterwaller wrote:...a nylon with carbon fibers built in called nylforce.
You'll be making military grade robots before too long, Peter!

Me? -I've just bought *another* roll of ABS... :D
Andy B - Team UserFriendly
Reading Cybernetics Graduate 1996
Trying not to take Antweights too seriously. I think I'm failing.
First AWS was 46.

Roboteernat

Post by Roboteernat » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:02 am

I didnt think to see on here any posts on the TCT show, I went there too, could have arranged a meet, would have been good to meet you Peter, Face to names....

Oh well :)

Was an excellent show, i got lots of samples and also enquired about becomming a reseller for Esun again back when they first started production, but hobbyking can now suopply it cheaper than i could due to quantities, so i managed to get lots of samples however :)
Some projects done: Wirelessly controlled mechanical hand/arm
Short Circuit: Robot Wars Series 6
Antweight robot : in production
Check out http://www.Roboteernat.co.uk for more details

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:07 am

Yes there were lots of different materials on offer I was hoping to see one of the Hello Bee Prusa printers running bur alas they didn't have one.
They have two full metal heads and heated tray and many of the reports look good but I haven't seen one in real life.
Anyway after much thinking I finally saw one on Amazon for £420 and as they are made abroad they are likely to be going up with the £ falling so I finally bit the bullet and ordered one.
I want to try combining different materials and also try water soluble support structures for more complex designs.

decap

Post by decap » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:52 pm

Have you got a link on amazon? Cannot seem to find it via search?

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:14 am

This is the printer but at a higher price.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BEEVERYCREATIV ... _i=desktop
The prices seem to vary a lot on Amazon.
Originally they were on at £560 then one day there were some at £370 but they were an Amazon Shop with a Chinese sounding name but an address in Germany.
The next day when I went to order one they were not there any more despite there being 10 in stock the day before.
When the one I ordered came up from Amazon themselves at £420 it said only one in stock so I ordered it quickly.
As I said I haven't seen one in the flesh so I cant't really recommend it but the spec looks good and I will let everyone know how I get on as usual.

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:01 pm

The new toy which I only ordered on Friday afternoon has just arrived (Sunday lunchtime) and on first inspection the parts look really well made.
I particularly liked all the steel frame parts which are beautifully cut out but still joined like the plastic kits I used to make as a lad. :roll:
Where as my Prusa i3 kit had one steel frame and the rest was printed parts held together with studding and nuts this has most of the major parts in steel.
I wasn't going to start it until after the AWS but having just printed out the 67 page assembly instructions I am not sure I can wait.

BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:38 pm

I didn't know modern CAD tools had an "Airfix" plugin! :P

(Kids, Airfix is what we had in the days before Minecraft :lol: )
Gary, Team BeligerAnt

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:24 pm

As predicted I just couldn't resist the temptation and so after about 10 hours work I now have this.
I still have to set it up and work out how to get it to print in two material which is likely to take longer than assembling it.
Reading on the internet and chatting to Trevor at 3D Print World Aylesbury it looks like it might be easier to invest in Simpify 3D.
This seems to be better for dual material use and means I can leave Cura set up for the Prusa i3 in the mean time.

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:26 pm

Right I have had some time to play with the new printer and it hasn't all been plain sailing.
When I first ran the machine the controller board kept getting reset or hung up when the printer ran to the start point using the micro switches.
I contacted Amazon and they offered me an exchange or refund but as I had invested 10 hours building it and it would be difficult to return I settled for £133 discount assuming it was either the power supply or controller card and I could replace them for that.
Reading on the manufacturers forum I found it was a known problem and all you had to do was cut the NC pin on each of the micro switches and all was well. :roll:
The overall mechanics I think are good and with all metal drive belt pulleys rather than 3d printed ones slightly better than the Prusa i3 I have.
Because it all works on 24V the heated bed heats up much quicker and can easily get to 100 c without having to lay a cork mat on it as I do with the i3.
I have had it printing in PLA Nylon and Polycarbonate with a separate support material from the other head.
I tarted off using PolySupport see http://www.polymaker.com/shop/polysupport/ and this worked well with the PLA .
When I removed the PLA from the bed the support structure remained behind with just a few stands to remove from the PLA afterwards.
But when it came to the Polycarbonate and the Nylon the higher temperature 250-260 seem to melt the polysupport and it was not a great success.
I found an old sample of HIPS which prints at 250 and gave a better support for the higher temperature materials.
At this point I had a extruder blockage and having stripped it all down I made the mistake of running a tap down each of the threads to clean out any surplus plastric.
Since than I have not been able to get the threads to seal properly and keep getting plastic coming out of various places on the extruder.
I finally decided to strip it all down again but this time I managed to shear the extruder tube.
The extruder arrangement is I think the weakest part of the printer so I have decided to upgrade them to E3d extruders and maybe even bowden rather than direct drive as the mass of two stepper motors is much higher than the old i3 head.
I have still stuck with Cura at the moment as it copes well with multiple machine settings.
I will let you know how I get on.

Occashokka

Post by Occashokka » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:24 pm

I'm getting crazily bogged down looking for a printer,there's waayy too many different things, I have been looking at a £210 i3 in a post elsewhere a £299 wanhoa steel i3 pre assembled that i can only afford because my dad said he would chip in £50 if he didn't have to build it,and a £240 i3 with filament here http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRUSA-I3-HIGH-A ... 0408.m2460 And here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01K6P5R74?psc=1. I have also seen tonnes of others and my budget is up to £300 but ideally around £250 or less as I don't really want to spend every single penny I have
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:22 pm

I have made some progress with the new printer.
I have obtained two E3D hot ends (well the cheap Chinese copies but unfortunately they have PTFE right next to the heater block.
They work well with PLA and ABS but have problems with Nylon and Polycarbonate at 260 C.
I replaced the PTFE with some brass tube and have had some success but it does seem to block up a lot.
I have ordered a range of parts direct from China which includes all metal barrels but they haven't arrived yet.
I have now designed a new mounting system for the two E3D hot ends that allows there height to be changed independently and removed the extruders and steppers from the X carriage.
I have designed a new extruder that mounts on the frame with a bowden cable to guide the filament to the head obviously I will need a second for the other head.
This system is printing well in ABS but I need the all metal barrels to test it with the Nylon.
Here is what it looks like so far.

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:01 pm

The parts from China finally arrived on Christmas eve.
Here is what the finished printer looks like
Here is a close up of the homemade extruders using the original motors and drive gear but now with an adjustable spring loaded tensioner.
Here are the E3D hot ends now with full metal heat break tubes.
I also printed some feet with soft rubber molded noise reducers built in.
While I was waiting for the bits from china I built my first ceramic heatbreak hot end.
I have yet to try it but without plastic in it I was getting just about 100c across the heat break.