Stand alone gear box

Places to spend cash or learn things!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

bitternboy

Stand alone gear box

Post by bitternboy »

Does anyone know of any stand alone gearboxes that can be easily fixed on to a brushed or brushless motor and decrease speed for more power. As high ratio as possible and that can be confined into the proportions of an antweight... :-?
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

There are some gearboxes available for electric aircraft, that use small brushless motors. However the ratios are likely to be quite modest.
Try searching for something like "3mm gearbox" and see if anything turns up.

If you want a high(ish) power motor with a high-ratio gearbox, a servo may be the best bet. Look for a slow, high torque one. Digital servos have impressive specs, but I'm not sure they can be successfully modified for continuous rotation.

BTW, when you say
... decrease speed for more power
I assume you meant "decrease speed for more torque" since the power comes from the motor and therefore must remain constant (ignoring losses).
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Yeah that... :)
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I think Craig had servo gearboxes used on 'slow flyer' brushed motors on Enviant (now Pug) or one of his other more recent things, if you can fit the motor to the servo gearbox that'd be worth looking into.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

Joey wrote:I think Craig had servo gearboxes used on 'slow flyer' brushed motors on Enviant (now Pug) or one of his other more recent things, if you can fit the motor to the servo gearbox that'd be worth looking into.
pug is the featherweight, puglette is the ant ;)
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
olivers

Post by olivers »

Search on ebay for brushless gearbox.

I'm not convinved about tip speed on spinners so did some testing using a gearbox and it did work as a lot more torque.

The gearboxes are meant for planes though and have metal gears so not 100% for antweights as may strip gears. You can get them from about 2:1-7:1